The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Captive Portal MACs not working as of 1/1/2017  (Read 1993 times)

Offline PaulRockfield

• View Profile
Re: Captive Portal MACs not working as of 1/1/2017
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 03:37:06 am »
Hi h2professor, just wondering if your captive portal is still working as mine has reverted back to allowing access ignoring MAC addresses.

Offline h2professor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:15 am »
I have not had any further problems now that I upgraded to a development version.

So just to clarify, in your situation it is allowing access to systems that are not listed in the MAC bypass list?

Offline PaulRockfield

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 04:50:50 am »
Yes, it is allowing any system to access that is not in the MAC bypass list

Offline h2professor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:17 am »
Your problem is completely opposite from the problem we were having. In our case nobody was getting through. In your case everyone is getting through. Be sure to check the settings on the Captive Portal Configuration, especially the two "Enable pass-through MAC automatic addition" checkboxes.

Upgrading to a development release ended up being the solution to our problem, but since yours is completely opposite, there's no way for me to say that would work in your situation.

Offline PaulRockfield

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 07:13:58 am »
Thanks h2professor. Back to the drawing board so.

Offline h2professor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 11:35:27 am »
To whomever is tracking this issue, we upgraded to 2.3.3-RELEASE (amd64) and we continue to operate without problems. Just because I was curious, however, I reinstalled the older 2.3.2 version on the backup router and restored the configuration that was attached in this forum and it does revert to ignoring the MAC bypass list, but then I upgrade it to 2.3.3 and once again the problem went away. So congratulations on the new version, and thank you very much for your excellent work.

Offline h2professor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 04:50:46 pm »
This morning at 4:00am sharp the router rebooted for no apparent reason (no error in the logs) and it is back to ignoring the MAC address bypass list in the Captive Portal settings just like it did back on January 1 of this year (hence the bump of this topic, because all of the conditions are the same).

I've had to turn off Captive Portal to prevent denying access to the Internet for all of the workstations on the network. Current version 2.3.4-RELEASE-p1. Rebooting the router again didn't solve the problem. No configuration changes have been made this week. The router has been rebooted a number of times without this problem. Etc etc.

System configuration AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core 4.2 GHz with Intel Quad Gigabit Ethernet card, dual HGST hard drives, 8G RAM (barely used), etc etc about 300 workstations to dual upstream gigabit Ethernet WAN. All overkill.

I was already planning to upgrade to 2.4 this weekend, so we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Offline h2professor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 05:15:07 am »
Upgrading to 2.4.0.RC solved the problem. Captive portal now recognizing the MAC bypass list.