Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: pfSense on CF 1GB  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
pfSense on CF 1GB
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:26:48 am »
Hi,

possible that there is not the new version of  pfSense 2.3 for 1gb compact flash ? but minimum 2gb?

Fabio

Offline heper

• View Profile
Re: pfSense on CF 1GB
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:27:40 am »
yes. 1GB has been scrapped.
Yes, that's no longer big enough (1 GB image has less than 500 MB available for the OS with two slices).
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php?title=2.3_New_Features_and_Changes#Security.2FErrata

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:56 am »
Uff :(

Thanks

do you think it is wise to install pf 2.3 on alix board or is it too heavy?

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 05:32:14 am »
You can install full pfSense from ISO or memstick pfSense as usual an 1GB disk, but please select advanced install during setup, and partition disk manually. At partition size enter * (asterisk) so that the partition fills up the whole 1GB disk space. Also when it asks for swap space, delete the swap entry from the list.
After installation finishes, you'll have a full install ocupying only 61% of 946MiB (that's in my case using 1GB built-in DOM disks in thin clients).
(there's some weirdness in the simple setup logic, that only creates a 700MB partition and leaves 300MB unpartitioned - that's why you should go advanced)

You can restore your config file from previous NanoBSD versions.

To verify NanoBSD-like operation, go to System > Advanced > Miscellaneous and check "Use RAM Disks (x) Use memory file system for /tmp and /var". This will keep installed system away from flash writes.

Of course no more double slices anymore, but still usable with 2.3 as before. I actually never had to change the active slice on a production system, I played around with it in my lab, but in production, if you really can't upgrade system media above 1GB (as me), the above solution will be perfectly usable.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:43:53 am by robi »

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:16:58 am »
Hi robi, thanks for your help. ive downlaoded 2gb version,  how do i put it on 1gb CF ?

PS I stop before installing pfsense :D

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:10 am »
Well, if you really use a CF card in your system I think the best way would be to just buy a bigger one - it's the least risky.
My description is intended for those who have non user replaceable storage media (like DOM modules in thin clients), or on-board flash media of 1GB in theur hardware. It can be applied for 1GB CF cards though - if you're ready for challenge  8)
You could, for example, put your 1GB CF card in a standard PC using a CF-to-IDE (CF-to-PATA) adapter and install full pfSense on it as I described above. And move the CF card back to Alix afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:26:16 am by robi »

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:26:12 am »
I prefer buy a new card  ;D ;D 

Thanks for your help  :)

Offline phil.davis

• View Profile
    • International Nepal Fellowship
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:23 am »
do you think it is wise to install pf 2.3 on alix board or is it too heavy?
I am running 2.3 fine on Alix with a 2GB CF card.
If you are buying a new CF card then you might as well get a 4GB, but if you have a 2GB sitting around then that will work fine.
As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, "There are 3 sides to every triangle."
If I helped you, then help someone else - buy someone a gift from the INF catalog http://secure.inf.org/gifts/usd/

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »
In my area we can barely find 4GB CF cards, the minimum size available in most shops is 8GB.
It's worth considering to make 8GB images too (already submitted redmine on this).

Offline iam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:08:55 pm »
Hi robi, thanks for your help. ive downlaoded 2gb version,  how do i put it on 1gb CF ?

I would you use the ISO/memstick version because the nanobsd version is discontinued for further releases (2.4 perhaps).

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 12:31:32 am »

I would you use the ISO/memstick version because the nanobsd version is discontinued for further releases (2.4 perhaps).

Is there an official statement on this?  :o

Offline cmb

• View Profile
    • Chris Buechler
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:42:27 am »
Is there an official statement on this?  :o

Not yet. It will be discontinued at some point because the flash media it's relevant to doesn't exist in current new hardware, but that's some way out at this point.

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 07:38:02 am »
I ve bought two kingston 4gb!

if you get a bigger and more faster card you can perform a "normal" installation without the embedded limitation ?

EDIT: OK Stupid question :P

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 07:44:06 am »
Yes you can, but don't forget to go to System > Advanced > Miscellaneous and check "Use RAM Disk".

What I did for my thin clients, is that I've installed my full pfSense on 1GB as I described above, entered the web interface, selected "reset to factory defaults", restarted the system but didn't allow it to boot up, instead, I took a DD image of the contents of the disk.

This way, I've created my own 1GB "nanobsd-ish" image.

PS: as an extra, I've modded the default config file with interface names matching my hardware, and pre-selected RAM Disk usage to be enabled by default. This way, each time I flash this image to any number of thin clients, I get a fresh system already prepared with these options, also skipping interface assignment at the console.  8)

Offline Fabioo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 08:18:27 am »
Perfect ! this weekend I'll do the tests :)

Thanks !