The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Gateway monitoring not working post-2.3 upgrade? Read here  (Read 11396 times)

Offline cmb

• View Profile
    • Chris Buechler
Gateway monitoring not working post-2.3 upgrade? Read here
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:23:16 pm »
If your gateway monitoring isn't working post-2.3 upgrade, it's likely one of two things.

Verify advanced options are sane

Browse to System>Routing and edit the gateway that's down. Then click Save. That will trigger the input validation that makes sure the configuration is valid, especially the advanced options. You may have had options set for apinger that are not valid for dpinger. If you get any errors upon saving, fix them, save, and apply changes.

Set ping payload size

Some modems have a bug that makes them drop pings with 0 byte payloads. dpinger uses a 0 byte payload by default because there isn't a need to include one and unnecessarily chew up bandwidth. If you have such a buggy upstream device, you'll need to set the payload to something greater than 0. System>Routing, edit the gateway, go to Advanced, and set payload to 1. Save and apply changes.

Offline ha11oga11o

• View Profile
Re: Gateway monitoring not working post-2.3 upgrade? Read here
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:27:55 am »
Hello all,

dont be confused with

Set ping payload size

Some modems have a bug that makes them drop pings with 0 byte payloads. dpinger uses a 0 byte payload by default because there isn't a need to include one and unnecessarily chew up bandwidth. If you have such a buggy upstream device, you'll need to set the payload to something greater than 0. System>Routing, edit the gateway, go to Advanced, and set payload to 1. Save and apply changes.

When you reboot unit payload size goes to "0", so you need to re-set it to work again.

Cheers!

Offline phil.davis

• View Profile
    • International Nepal Fellowship
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:04:03 am »
Hello all,

dont be confused with

Set ping payload size

When you reboot unit payload size goes to "0", so you need to re-set it to work again.

Cheers!
I couldn't reproduce that in my test VM. I set the payload to 1, it stuck in real-time, then I rebooted (a few times) and it starts dpinger with payload (data_len) 1 OK.

If you have a way to reproduce the problem, then start a new thread in this forum and we can look into it.
As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, "There are 3 sides to every triangle."
If I helped you, then help someone else - buy someone a gift from the INF catalog http://secure.inf.org/gifts/usd/

Offline cmb

• View Profile
    • Chris Buechler
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:15:48 pm »
I couldn't reproduce that in my test VM. I set the payload to 1, it stuck in real-time, then I rebooted (a few times) and it starts dpinger with payload (data_len) 1 OK.

If you have a way to reproduce the problem, then start a new thread in this forum and we can look into it.

Yes, please. It definitely sticks. Many have configured it.

Offline agentdesign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:57:11 am »
I can't make any changes to the settings on those pages. If I attempt to make that change (or any change, or no changes) and hit submit, it gives me...

The following input errors were detected:
The gateway name "WAN1_PPPOE" already exists.

2.3-RELEASE (amd64)
built on Mon Apr 11 18:28:29 CDT 2016
FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE

--
Ross

Offline cmb

• View Profile
    • Chris Buechler
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:50:51 pm »
I can't make any changes to the settings on those pages. If I attempt to make that change (or any change, or no changes) and hit submit, it gives me...

The following input errors were detected:
The gateway name "WAN1_PPPOE" already exists.

You're hitting the duplicate button rather than the edit button in that case.

Offline ha11oga11o

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:39:01 pm »
Myst say i was wrong. Was sure it was not sticks first three reboots for me cause mine gateway was always offline at a time. So i did it over and over again. Today i tried it couple of times just to confirm and i cannot reproduce it anymore.

Mine sincerely apologies for false statement.

Offline TasMot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:15 pm »
If your gateway monitoring isn't working post-2.3 upgrade, it's likely one of two things.

Browse to System>Routing and edit the gateway that's down. Then click Save. That will trigger the input validation that makes sure the configuration is valid, especially the advanced options. You may have had options set for apinger that are not valid for dpinger. If you get any errors upon saving, fix them, save, and apply changes.

Set ping payload size

:o - Hooo De Hooo, this worked and seems to keep working.  Thank You Very Much. Verizon Actiontec modem seems to be the culprit.

Offline 😄😄😄

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:52:02 am »
Yes!! it works!! thax

"Set ping payload size"

From Colombia :)

Offline Tak-MK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 03:43:03 am »
It won't work for me :/

EDIT: I have to put manually the gateway IP, now it works!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:44:14 am by Tak-MK »

Offline 1smallsausage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 03:55:40 am »
Hi all

I changed my payload to 1 a while back and every thing seem to be working fine, but recently i keep getting these messeges in the log again and my upload seems terrible every now and then very flakey. Can anyone offer any help with this or to why this maybe happening. I have a home virgin media cable connection 200 down and 12 up and this is only part of the log it goes on and on.

Offline dennypage

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:44 am »
Error 55 ENOBUFS: No buffer space available.  An operation on a socket or pipe was not performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/No_buffer_space_available

Offline mckimmdk

• “It always seems impossible until it’s done”
    • View Profile
    • Kulani ICT Solutions
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 09:51:23 am »

Set ping payload size

This worked for me after soooo long, I had to disable gateway monitoring for a while  8)
“It always seems impossible until it’s done”

Offline jano23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »
If my post is not the same problem that is being discussed, please let me know. Thanks!

2.4.0-BETA (arm)
built on Sun Apr 09 20:40:03 CDT 2017
FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8

When I got to Status > Monitoring I get this error: Error: JSON not returned. Check to make sure you have an active session.  Tried the "verify advanced options are sane" and " set ping payload size" suggestions.

Here is the crash report:
arm
11.0-RELEASE-p8
FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8 #0 f7e03ae750f(RELENG_2_4): Sun Apr  9 20:53:07 CDT 2017     root@buildbot2.netgate.com:/xbuilder/pfsense-crossbuild/work/obj-ufw-armv6/arm.armv6/builder/factory/tmp/FreeBSD-src/sys/pfSense-uFW

Crash report details:

PHP Errors:
[10-Apr-2017 17:23:28 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/rrd.so' - Shared object "libiconv.so.2" not found, required by "libglib-2.0.so.0" in Unknown on line 0
[10-Apr-2017 17:23:36 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/20131226/rrd.so' - Shared object "libiconv.so.2" not found, required by "libglib-2.0.so.0" in Unknown on line 0

No FreeBSD crash data found.

Offline dennypage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 08:36:04 pm »
Your issue is not related and should go to the 2.4 beta forum.

If my post is not the same problem that is being discussed, please let me know. Thanks!

2.4.0-BETA (arm)
built on Sun Apr 09 20:40:03 CDT 2017
FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8

When I got to Status > Monitoring I get this error: Error: JSON not returned. Check to make sure you have an active session.  Tried the "verify advanced options are sane" and " set ping payload size" suggestions.

Offline jano23

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 10:50:08 pm »
Thanks!!

Offline ikinoktabilisim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 01:20:02 am »

Set ping payload size

Yes, it works again  ;D