pfSense English Support > Installation and Upgrades

Gateway monitoring not working post-2.3 upgrade? Read here

(1/4) > >>

cmb:
If your gateway monitoring isn't working post-2.3 upgrade, it's likely one of two things.

Verify advanced options are sane

Browse to System>Routing and edit the gateway that's down. Then click Save. That will trigger the input validation that makes sure the configuration is valid, especially the advanced options. You may have had options set for apinger that are not valid for dpinger. If you get any errors upon saving, fix them, save, and apply changes.

Set ping payload size

Some modems have a bug that makes them drop pings with 0 byte payloads. dpinger uses a 0 byte payload by default because there isn't a need to include one and unnecessarily chew up bandwidth. If you have such a buggy upstream device, you'll need to set the payload to something greater than 0. System>Routing, edit the gateway, go to Advanced, and set payload to 1. Save and apply changes.

ha11oga11o:
Hello all,

dont be confused with

--- Quote ---Set ping payload size

Some modems have a bug that makes them drop pings with 0 byte payloads. dpinger uses a 0 byte payload by default because there isn't a need to include one and unnecessarily chew up bandwidth. If you have such a buggy upstream device, you'll need to set the payload to something greater than 0. System>Routing, edit the gateway, go to Advanced, and set payload to 1. Save and apply changes.
--- End quote ---

When you reboot unit payload size goes to "0", so you need to re-set it to work again.

Cheers!

phil.davis:

--- Quote from: ha11oga11o on April 16, 2016, 07:27:55 am ---Hello all,

dont be confused with

--- Quote ---Set ping payload size

--- End quote ---

When you reboot unit payload size goes to "0", so you need to re-set it to work again.

Cheers!

--- End quote ---
I couldn't reproduce that in my test VM. I set the payload to 1, it stuck in real-time, then I rebooted (a few times) and it starts dpinger with payload (data_len) 1 OK.

If you have a way to reproduce the problem, then start a new thread in this forum and we can look into it.

cmb:

--- Quote from: phil.davis on April 17, 2016, 08:04:03 am ---I couldn't reproduce that in my test VM. I set the payload to 1, it stuck in real-time, then I rebooted (a few times) and it starts dpinger with payload (data_len) 1 OK.

If you have a way to reproduce the problem, then start a new thread in this forum and we can look into it.

--- End quote ---

Yes, please. It definitely sticks. Many have configured it.

agentdesign:
I can't make any changes to the settings on those pages. If I attempt to make that change (or any change, or no changes) and hit submit, it gives me...

The following input errors were detected:
The gateway name "WAN1_PPPOE" already exists.

2.3-RELEASE (amd64)
built on Mon Apr 11 18:28:29 CDT 2016
FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE

--
Ross

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version