Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Snort VRT Not Dowloading -Snort VRT rules md5 download failed Error  (Read 3648 times)

Offline bmeeks

• View Profile
Re: Snort VRT Not Dowloading -Snort VRT rules md5 download failed Error
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:42:40 pm »
OK. Required a bit of extra shell action. After removing package, hunted down leftover bits in the filesystem.

Code: [Select]
rm -rf /usr/local/etc/snort
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules
rm /var/cache/pkg/*snort*

Also grep'ed globally to find references to snort. In config.xml I found that it still had stuff about snort *and* there were two sqlite databases that contained references. I didn't bother with those, but I did open up config.xml and found all the basic setting properties in there. So removing doesn't really remove. That's not cool. But I left it there not wanting to break anything.

I did notice that there was a space in front of my oinkcode though! :) When reinstalling the package, I made sure to remove that and when I did the update it went fine.

You can remove Snort and have it clean up after itself.  The default is to "save settings" because most folks want to remove and reinstall or update the binary while keeping their existing configuration settings.  On the GLOBAL SETTINGS tab is a checkbox option to save settings when uninstalling the package.  The box is checked by default, but you can uncheck the box and when you remove Snort it will remove all traces of itself from the config.xml file.  That of course means any and all of your previous Snort configuration settings are gone.

The directories you found are being left because of a bug in the uninstall code.  That should be fixed in the latetst package version.  The only exception would be if you manually modified any files in those directory trees.

Bill