pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: PC Engines APU2 with 4 ethernet cards  (Read 3047 times)

Online johnkeates

• View Profile
Re: PC Engines APU2 with 4 ethernet cards
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 02:15:11 pm »
By the way, the mini PCIe cards do suck quite often, mostly because or poor space constrained design. Most of the cards I tried are RT 8111 based, and die within a year, even fir active airflow. In half the cases it was the on-board DC-DC, in the other cases it was the network chip itself. Bit of a mixed bag so far...

Going with the VLAN option would would out best.

Offline BlueKobold

• pfSense rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »
Most of the cards I tried are RT 8111 based,
Must not be. NISK300LAN Kit
NISK300LAN Kit with universal I/O bracket is specifically designed with NISE300 and NISE 4000/NIFE 4000 models for network connectivity expansions. It provides dual Intel® Gigabit Ethernet ports with latest I210IT controllers, which gives great network connectivity and less power consumption compared to the previous generation Intel® 82574L controllers. The dual LAN ports on NISK300LAN Kit supports WoL, PXE and teaming functions for managing network activities.

Greetings from Germany
Frank

Online jahonix

• volunteer since 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:15:08 pm »
Eventually I got to set the 2 NICs to act as ONE LAN interface ...
You know that bridging two interfaces in software is far from being a switch?
Each 10$ 5-port switch is way better siuted for such a task than sending each packet through the software stack down to the kernel and back up again. A switch usually does that in hardware or at least in a dedicated ASIC or FPGA highly specialized for such a task.
And do not expect wirespeed from your bridge.

Just saying.
Chris

The issue with IPv6 jokes is that almost no one understands them and no one is using them yet.

Online jahonix

• volunteer since 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 08:24:12 pm »
The guide you were following misses one point and that is correct filtering.

Usually you filter on each interface individually.
There's an advanced option at System Tunables where you can set pfSense to filter on the bridge instead.
net.link.bridge.pfil_member   Set to 0 to disable filtering on the incoming and outgoing member interfaces. | default   (1)   
net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge      Set to 1 to enable filtering on the bridge interface      | default   (0)

Better than using an interface group and way easier to understand when doing changes in 7 months or so.
Chris

The issue with IPv6 jokes is that almost no one understands them and no one is using them yet.