Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: 2.4 ZFS on a SSD  (Read 3503 times)

Offline luckman212

• View Profile
    • @luckman212 - github
Re: 2.4 ZFS on a SSD
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:24 am »
One idea that comes to mind:

Add a "reaper" type daemon/background task to monitor filesystem usage. If it crosses a predefined threshold, issue an email alert and automatically stop any services that are on a "blacklist" (also user definable but with a set of sane defaults) e.g. ntopng, squid etc

Offline brianc69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 06:52:19 pm »
Speaking of squid I just noticed the follow cron entry doesn't exist.

Clear Disk Cache NOW Hard Disk Cache is automatically managed by swapstate_check.php script which is scheduled to run daily via cron.
The script will only clear the disk cache on the following conditions:

Offline Harvy66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »
Could possibly partition your drive to only use a portion of your HD, and if ZFS fills up, increase the partition size and it'll have room again. Only works so many times. Better yet, don't run out of storage. Poor planning and be spoiled by a get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm averaging about 0.5% storage per year and I have never deleted anything. At thsi rate, I'll need to upgrade my SSD in 200 years.

Offline amiskell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 09:08:17 am »
Simple solution is to create a dataset for those types of applications (ntop/squid/etc) and put a quota on them so they can't exceed a certain capacity with their outputted data.

Offline chrcoluk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 01:56:03 pm »
Simple solution is to create a dataset for those types of applications (ntop/squid/etc) and put a quota on them so they can't exceed a certain capacity with their outputted data.

you beat me to it, if there is concern on here about zfs filling up then it may be a good idea to have the installer set a quota for the data filsets to 95% or so of capacity making the deadlock situation impossible.

I have a lo of experience with both zfs and ufs on FreeBSD tho and I am very confident in saying zfs is by far the safer filesystem.

My pfsense box has a 60gig ssd of which 3.3gig is used, I think I will be ok. :)
pfSense 2.4
Qotom Q355G4 or Braswell N3150 with Jetway mini pcie 2x intel i350 lan - 4 gig Kingston 1333 C11 DDR3L
 - 60 gig kingston ssdnow ssd - ISP Sky UK