pfSense English Support > Official pfSense Hardware

SG-1000 microFirewall

(1/4) > >>

ivor:
First pfSense ARM appliance ever, SG-1000 microFirewall. You can purchase official pfSense appliances from the pfSense store and Netgate store.

- TI AM3352 ARM 600Mhz CPU
- 512MB DDR3
- 4GB eMMC
- 2x 1GbE ports.
- ideal for SOHO / remote worker application

Feel free to ask questions about the unit!

tinjaw:
I received mine months ago, but it is sitting collecting dust. I require some advice. I have a white box mini-PC running pfsense currently. It has four Ethernet ports. I am using only LAN and WAN, but the other two are configured/available for use. I want to repurpose that box, so I purchased the SG-1000, and now I need to migrate to it.

So, my question is, is it possible to export my config from the current box and import it into the SG-1000? I assume that if I can, I will still need to tweak things for my SG-1000. If not, what is the best way to migrate? It is just a home/office so that I can afford a reasonable amount of downtime.

jimp:
Delete the two extra interfaces from Interfaces > (assign) and then you should be able to make a backup and import it to the SG-1000. It will prompt you to reassign the interfaces after importing, then pick the new interfaces and save, then apply and it will reboot with the new mappings.

brando56894:
I bought one of these about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty disappointed with it, I must say. I had been running pfSense on a book-size micro-atx Intel dual core Celeron, but it was a pain to keep cool (CPU was built in and came with no fan on heatsink) and it took up a fair amount of space that I didn't have. Since I got a big increase in my pay, I decided to support the pfSense project by buying one of your hardware solutions, since I've been using it for a few years. I was going to buy the $300 model but then say the new SG-1000, which looked even more appealing since it was smaller and half the price.

As soon as I received it the problems started: I could see inside the case and wanted to add a MicroSD card but I couldn't get inside the damn thing![/b] The one lonely screw seemed to be screwed in by Hercules himself! I tried about 3 different size Phillips head screw drivers and they all just tore the screw up since a) I don't have a vice to hold the unit in place and b) I can't press on it too hard because I fear bending/breaking it. This also prevents me from using the $10 mounting kit that I purchased.

After about 30 minutes I decided to give up on opening it and move on to replacing the old one with this one. It literally took me about 5 tries and about 45 minutes to get the damn thing working completely. I plugged the MicroUSB cable into the UART port and it would keep getting stuck at various points during the boot process, the internet would be working, but unbound would be dead and the web configurator would be dead also since it had hung before Nginx started. Once I got it loaded up fully I restored my backup configuration, which lead to more hangs. Over about the next week, either the webUI would die and the serial console would give me nothing, but the internet would still work as expected or everything would just flat out lockup and I have would no internet connection and would be forced to reboot by pulling the power cord. This would happen about every 2-4 days. Also during this the webUI would regularly state that the CPU was pegged at 100% but when I would pull up top over serial it would show only about 40% usage.

I finally just decided to do a full factory reset and start from scratch, hoping maybe that would fix the lockups. It did fix the hangs during boot, but my serial console it still dead if I connect to it after the device has fully booted (I just get a black screen, pressing enter or ctrl-c or anything else does nothing) and it still locks up. About 3 hours after I did the reset it completely killed my connection. I was downloading a few things at about 13 MB/sec (I have Verizon Fios 150 Mbps, soon to be ~1 Gbps) and watching a YouTube at 1080P so it didn't put that much load on to it. It's not like I put a huge load on it, I have about 12 devices in my home network, only about 4 or 5 are active at a time and are mostly streaming devices/phones, the only thing that does a lot is my home server and that's sporadic. Since there isn't a temperature sensor in the device I have no idea how hot it's getting. It's warm to the touch and the infrared thermometer I have shows that the inside PCB/Heatsink is around 125F.

Hopefully these hiccups will resolve themselves or maybe I received a bad unit because I feel like I'm not receiving what I paid for considering my cobbled together solution gave me no issues over the 3 years I was using it. Also since I couldn't comment in the thread regarding the crypto-unit, I do feel that it is deceptive to mention that it has it, but failing to mention that it's not currently supported, because the assumption is that if you mention it, it's supported, especially when you're the ones selling the devices. That's kind of like Intel saying in their specs sheet that their newest CPU has 15 cores but when you install Windows/Linux/OS X you only see 6, then you reach out to them and they say "we never said that they were able to be used right now, we're just showing that they're there and will be able to be used at some point in the future". You'd be a little upset wouldn't you? Myself I don't care that much about the crypto-unit, I just want the stupid thing to work as well as the one I used to have.

le_top:
Very similar experience to  brando56894  on my end.
I've reported the issues here and there on the forum.

I could believe that one the replies said "That bug report is for a beta version. Expect bugs." while the official page says "Though the firmware is labeled “BETA” it has proven to be very stable with only a few minor items remaining to be addressed before its release."

It's been released for 7 months - how long is it going to be in "BETA" state.

I am disapointed with the buy (and I bought two supposing that the hardware was validated by the company building PFSense).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version