pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch - Needs static port on its outbound NAT  (Read 8315 times)

Offline AkiraSensei

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch - Needs static port on its outbound NAT
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »
Sorry for reviving an old post but should I disable static ports on all other mappings? For example, the automatically created rules for localhost to WAN, LAN to WAN, OPT1 to WAN, etc.? I also have multiple game systems that require the static port on. Is it all right to have static ports on all of them ON at the same time? I'm still very new to pfSense (this is my post here, in fact!).

Offline Falcon-OSX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 07:00:13 pm »
Thank you very much a very simple and elegant solution. You made my son very happy. I will be adding other console to help with gaming.

Thank Again. :)

Offline Derelict

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »
Sorry for reviving an old post but should I disable static ports on all other mappings? For example, the automatically created rules for localhost to WAN, LAN to WAN, OPT1 to WAN, etc.? I also have multiple game systems that require the static port on. Is it all right to have static ports on all of them ON at the same time? I'm still very new to pfSense (this is my post here, in fact!).
As long as they do not need the same source port to talk with the same destination address:port it should be OK. There can only be one state for each local_wan_ip:port <-> remote_ip:port combination. Setting static port just means that the source port is left untranslated when connections are made outbound. If the local machine connects using source port 55000, then that port will be used on the WAN interface as the source port. Without static set, the port can be randomly selected from the ephemeral port space (1024 to 65535) and translated on WAN.
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Use this diagram to describe your issue.
The pfSense Book is now available for just $24.70!
Do Not PM For Help! NO_WAN_EGRESSTM

Offline dazedman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:47 am »
this solved my problem on both the wii u and switch. thank you!

Offline blue_smoke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 12:32:10 am »
Hi thank you for this guide.  I had problems getting the NAT type from a D to a C or B even after following your steps but I eventually figured out what was happening.

In the step below, I found that the Mappings order was important.  I originally added the rule as the last entry.  When I moved the Mappings entry up above the other LAN entries I started getting NAT type B.

3. Add Outbound NAT rule
- Firewall > NAT, Outbound tab
- Click +
- Set the console address as the source (Type = Network, then enter the IP address, pick /32 for the CIDR)
- Check Static Port
- Save/Apply