pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Installation trouble on XEN  (Read 107 times)

Offline lloydsmart

• View Profile
Installation trouble on XEN
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:57 pm »
Hi Guys, first post here so be kind!

I'm trying to install pfSense as a HVM guest on Xen, but I haven't had any success so far.

I've got the hypervisor installed, with Alpine Linux as my Dom0. No GUI - everything's console based, but I do use a graphics card to give a VGA connection to view the console.

All that's working just fine so far.

The problems start when I try to install pfSense as a HVM. I've tried both the CD ISO version and the usbstick serial version. With the serial version, I can see the system booting to a certain point, then the serial connection just disconnects. With the ISO version, I can't even get the thing to boot.

Here's the Xen configuration I've been using:

Code: [Select]
builder = "hvm"
name = "pfsense"
memory = 2048
maxmem = 2048
vcpus = 2
acpi = 1
apic = 1

vif = [ 'bridge=br0, mac=00:3e:16:02:02:99' ]

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg0/pfsense,xvdb,w', 'phy:/dev/sdk,xvda,w' ]
boot = 'c'

sdl = 0
vnc = 0
nographics = 1
serial = 'pty'

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'

By watching the PTY interface with Screen, I can see the system start, load the kernel, and start identifying hardware devices, but it gets no further than that. After a while, the PTY device just disappears, which is weird because the VM continues to run - I just can't access it. Any ideas what's going on?

I've tried sending the serial to TCP, too. When I do this, I can see it booting up from PuTTY on another computer, but it still cuts off in the same place.

Please help!
Many thanks.

Offline johnpoz

• Not a pfSense employee, they cannot fire me...
    • View Profile
Re: Installation trouble on XEN
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:37:01 am »
And did you read the STICKY on XEN and pfsense?

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=88467.0

IMPORTANT: Xen/KVM networking will not work using default hypervisor settings!
- An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- If I have helped you and want to help back, https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
- Please don't PM me for personal help, info you don't want public sure. Link to thread you would like me to look at ok, etc.
1x SG-2440 2.3.3_p1 (work)
1x 2.3.3_p1 x64 running on esxi 6.5 as VM (home)

Offline lloydsmart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I did read the sticky. Unfortunately that's not the issue I'm having.

My problem is not to do with ethernet but rather the serial console cutting off during boot. I haven't even got to the stage of configuring ethernet or pinging interfaces yet. I'm just trying to get through the installer using the serial console via a pty.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:35:21 pm by lloydsmart »

Offline lloydsmart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:06:19 pm »
Ok, so today I added
Code: [Select]
xen_platform_pci=0 to my DomU config for pfSense, and got a bit more information. This time, instead of the serial console just cutting off during boot, I got an error message. Here's a screenshot:

It looks to me like a kernel panic. Is that what it is? If so, what could be causing it?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:15:10 pm by lloydsmart »