pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: How can I be the only one with a broken RC2?  (Read 17185 times)

Offline berniem

• View Profile
Re: How can I be the only one with a broken RC2?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 01:58:58 am »

Ok, so far it's looking like the Jetway MB with the built-in Via nic and a dual-port Intel Pro card is working fine with no problems.

Going on the assumption that it was indeed a driver change sometime between September and RC2, what are the available options for a remedy?  Is it possible to revert the driver in the build to some version before this regression?

Failing that, would it be reasonable for an end-user (eg: me) to pull the necessary driver files from the September build and drop them into a current build?  If so, where would I look for a clue as to what files I'd need to copy over?

Or is there some other alternative (other than users throwing away all nics and motherboards with chipsets that begin with 'R')?

Thanks!

Offline cmb

• View Profile
    • Chris Buechler
Re: How can I be the only one with a broken RC2?
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 12:55:32 am »
It's very, very unlikely there was a driver regression between September and December, almost nothing changed in FreeBSD 7.0 between then. It's also highly unlikely any changes in the pfSense code base would have caused anything like that, since nothing at all related to Ethernet interface code has changed in a *long* time, longer ago than September.

Can you reliably replicate this being resolved going back to an earlier release, then breaking going back to 1.2.1 release?  If so, what date is the one that works?  Given the lack of changes in any related areas, I doubt if that's truly the case. If so, I have a bunch of 1.2.1 snapshots that I can make available to help narrow down further.