pfSense English Support > IPv6

IPv6-test.com

(1/3) > >>

bimmerdriver:
ipv6-test.com has been my go-to website for ensuring I've got good dual-stack connectivity. I have two separate networks, one running pfsense 2.3.4 and one running 2.4 beta. (I have 50+ Mbps down and 10+ Mbps up.) I have icmp echo-request enabled for ipv4 and ipv6 and on the windows 10 clients, I have the windows firewall "Virtual Machine Monitoring (Echo Request - ICMPv6-In)" rule enabled. With this configuration, normally, I get 20/20 on both networks and the ping test also works for both protocols. (I normally only use chrome.)

Lately (as in the last month or so), however, I've found the website to give inconsistent results. Often, the ipv6 icmp test says filtered or not tested and often, the one or more of the three dns tests are slow to respond or come back as unreachable. If I refresh the dns test several times, a different one of the three dns tests may fail. Less often, the website reports the browser default protocol is ipv4 instead of ipv6. If I refresh the website a few times, it usually will eventually report 20/20. Maybe I have to come back in a while.

To my knowledge, nothing has changed on either of my networks, aside from updates to the pfsense 2.4 beta snapshot. My other network is more stable, since I'm using pfsense 2.3.X release.

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing these problems.

johnpoz:
No not seeing any issues.. You have mentioned these 2 pfsense in your other thread - but have yet to see how they are connected.  To me one is downstream of the other?  Are they both natting?  Are they in parallel.

A drawing would be most helpful in helping you.

bimmerdriver:

--- Quote from: johnpoz on June 13, 2017, 01:55:17 pm ---No not seeing any issues.. You have mentioned these 2 pfsense in your other thread - but have yet to see how they are connected.  To me one is downstream of the other?  Are they both natting?  Are they in parallel.

A drawing would be most helpful in helping you.

--- End quote ---
I don't have a drawing, but hopefully I can explain it.

1. VDSL2 Modem, with ipv4 address and ipv6 prefix
2. Bridged port,  IP set top boxes are connected to LAN ports
3. Physical NIC on Windows hyper-v server 2012R2 connected to bridged port
4. Virtual WAN switch
5. 2 x pfsense guest (2.3.4 a, 2.4 beta b), each with separate MAC, DUID and ipv4 address and ipv6 prefix (not NATed by modem).
6a. / 6b. separate virtual LAN switches
7a. other windows and linux guests and physical NIC
7b. other windows and linux guests
8a. physical LAN switch with numerous devices

We have been using this configuration for several years with no problems. (Previously, we had separate HE tunnels for ipv6, before native ipv6 was available.)

Does that help?

The strange results I'm getting only from ipv6-test.com, lead me to wonder if there is something wrong with their website or the route between my isp and their website. Sometimes it says ipv6 is not supported, but shows that dns4 and dhs6 are reachable with ipv6 and the browser is defaulted to ipv6. If there is no ipv6, how could those results be correct? Immediately after receiving such a result, I can run the ping test and speed test and both protocols work fine. test-ipv6.com doesn't report any problems. This is why I'm wondering if there's a problem with the website (or the route between my isp and the website).

johnpoz:
So your public IPv4 you are getting are they in the same netblock or different.  Your IPv6 that you get are they different prefixes behind your pfsense?

So they are completely separate parallel setups just using the same ISP.    Or do these pfsense have rfc1918 on their wan so they are behind a nat?  You say not natted by modem so I assume your ISP is giving you different public ipv4 and different ipv6 prefixes behind the 2 pfsense boxes.

If so then 1 has zero to do with the other.

I can tell you that ipv6 test works just fine on 2.4 beta that is for sure.. 

bimmerdriver:

--- Quote from: johnpoz on June 13, 2017, 03:47:24 pm ---So your public IPv4 you are getting are they in the same netblock or different.  Your IPv6 that you get are they different prefixes behind your pfsense?

So they are completely separate parallel setups just using the same ISP.    Or do these pfsense have rfc1918 on their wan so they are behind a nat?  You say not natted by modem so I assume your ISP is giving you different public ipv4 and different ipv6 prefixes behind the 2 pfsense boxes.

If so then 1 has zero to do with the other.

I can tell you that ipv6 test works just fine on 2.4 beta that is for sure..

--- End quote ---
Effectively, I have three completely separate dual-stack networks. One for the modem and one for each of the pfsense routers. The ipv4 addresses are all public (not private) in separate /30 subnets. The ipv6 are separate /56 prefixes. It's been a while since I wiresharked the WAN switch. I don't recall if I could see packets from the modem, but I could see packets from both pfsense routers.

Just trying to get behind why the results from ipv6-test.com are so inconsistent. One time it refreshes almost instantly with 20/20. The next time, one or more of the tests either take a while and pass or fail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version