pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic  (Read 23457 times)

Offline fnkngrv

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial QOTOM Hardware Topic
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
My QOTOM-Q330G4 arrived via DHL today.  I was able to install PFSense just fine however it appears that I have odd behavior going on.  Of course the ports on the plate are labeled as 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I can use 1 as my ibg0 for the WAN fine however 2 should be able to be identified as ibg1 yet PFSense identifies it as igb2.  I have tried to troubleshoot by hardcoding and also by using the autoconfiguration.  It identifies port 3 as igb3 and then doesn't seem to see port 4 at all?  Just odd behavior.  I did a google search, but am not finding anything with this particular scenario.  According to the listing on Amazon the card is the 4 x Intel RJ-45 Ports (Intel I211-AT- 10/100/1000 Controller).  If it were a driver issue I would assume that it would impact all interfaces would it not?  To confirm it isn't seeing an igb1 at all.

Should I instead post this up in a different part of the forum?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:28:00 pm by fnkngrv »

Offline chudak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:34 pm »
My QOTOM-Q330G4 arrived via DHL today.  I was able to install PFSense just fine however it appears that I have odd behavior going on.  Of course the ports on the plate are labeled as 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I can use 1 as my ibg0 for the WAN fine however 2 should be able to be identified as ibg1 yet PFSense identifies it as igb2.  I have tried to troubleshoot by hardcoding and also by using the autoconfiguration.  It identifies port 3 as igb3 and then doesn't seem to see port 4 at all?  Just odd behavior.  I did a google search, but am not finding anything with this particular scenario.  According to the listing on Amazon the card is the 4 x Intel RJ-45 Ports (Intel I211-AT- 10/100/1000 Controller).  If it were a driver issue I would assume that it would impact all interfaces would it not?  To confirm it isn't seeing an igb1 at all.

I have the same box and don't see this issue (given I have not actually used port 4 on igb3), see https://snag.gy/rsOAkj.jpg

Offline bingo600

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »

Have you tried to verify with another OS ?
I mean it would be easy to install (boot) a live Linux USB Stick.

If the problem persists, contact QOTOM.

Someone else got a new box sent, when he had problems.

/Bingo
pfSense 2.4.1

QOTOM-Q355G4 Quad Lan.
CPU  : Core i5 5250U
Ram : 8GB Kingston DDR3LV 1600
LAN  : 4 x Intel 211
Disk  : 240G Toshiba Sata SSD

Offline fnkngrv

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »
I have not yet. The odd thing is if I plug the device into a switch I will get activity lights on all four interfaces. I'll see about installing Ubuntu and/or Windows 10 in the next day or so. I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Waqar.UK

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:43 pm »
Did yours come with a trial version of Windows 7? My one did and all four ports were visible. Try running a live CD of Linux Mint and see if your Ethernet ports can be seen.

Offline fnkngrv

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 02:37:12 pm »
Did yours come with a trial version of Windows 7? My one did and all four ports were visible. Try running a live CD of Linux Mint and see if your Ethernet ports can be seen.

I ordered the box without any storage.  I am using a 32GB MSATA I picked up on eBay for 11 bucks.

Offline fnkngrv

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 04:27:20 am »
I installed Windows 10 and also Ubuntu on my QOTOM-Q330G4 today.  I confirmed that they must have performed a defective manufacturing job on the motherboard.  So in a nutshell I was able to confirm that they somehow managed to swap Int 2 and 4 on the board so that explains the behavior that I am seeing:

Int 1 ---> ibg0
Int 2 ---> ibg2
Int 3 ---> ibg3
Int 4 ---> ibg1

I would contact the seller on Amazon and see about submitting return, but this is the 2nd Qotom box that I have bought in the past month.  With them having to ship from/to China it becomes a PITA and then I would have to wait another week or two before I could get my new setup running which would not be good seeing as how I am already a few weeks behind.  I am almost out of return time with my Ubiquiti AC Pro from MicroCenter and really need to get my openVPN squared away for work.  It sucks, but I guess that I am just going to deal with it being messed up.

Thanks for those that replied with suggestions!

Offline bingo600

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »

SNIP ....
I would contact the seller on Amazon and see about submitting return
SNIP ....

I answered here
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=130206.msg730947#msg730947

And if you had read the thread from the beginning it was already ansvered.
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=132528.msg728649#msg728649

The PCB guy was prob. lazy when routing to those ports, or the pick & place machine was swapping the PHY's.

As i see it, it's just a minor inconvenience. That will prob be present on the replacement too , if QOTOM will replace at all.

/Bingo
pfSense 2.4.1

QOTOM-Q355G4 Quad Lan.

Offline plissje

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »
Hey guys,
So I've browsed through the thread and there some great info here, and I understand that if I value a VPN connection I should avoid the J1900 processors.
But it seems that I can't find a conclusion on what to get if I do. So I would appreciate some recommendation regarding a hardware choice for home. (I'm a pfsense noob and pretty much looking into joining the club :))

I got a 100/3 internet connection. Looking for something that would provide me with a good home performance, VPN & protection (clam + sort + ad blocker).
so this rules out J1900. I thought about the I3 or I5, but I see some posts regarding their power consumption. Is it really that big of a deal or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »
Hey guys,
So I've browsed through the thread and there some great info here, and I understand that if I value a VPN connection I should avoid the J1900 processors.
But it seems that I can't find a conclusion on what to get if I do. So I would appreciate some recommendation regarding a hardware choice for home. (I'm a pfsense noob and pretty much looking into joining the club :))

I got a 100/3 internet connection. Looking for something that would provide me with a good home performance, VPN & protection (clam + sort + ad blocker).
so this rules out J1900. I thought about the I3 or I5, but I see some posts regarding their power consumption. Is it really that big of a deal or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

It's not that big of a deal. Both CPU's are the mobile variant in the Qotom hardware. The biggest difference between the i3 and i5 versions is the multitasking. The i3 with AES-NI will happily pull your VPN needs, but if you are going to add more interactive components, the i5 is probably the way to go if you don't want to replace the box in two years, because you most likely will see an increase in traffic, better line speeds from your ISP or heavier software. In all of those cases, the i5 will leave you with a bit of headroom to make sure you can use the box for at least the next 5 years or so.

Offline bingo600

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 02:47:41 am »
I just loaded pfSense on my 2'nd Qotom Core i5.
These boxes are running excellent, only "quirk" is the mixup of the physical lan port numbers vs. the pfSense detected interface numbers.

I did a "burn in test" with 100% CPU load , and the temperature peaked "around 69 degrees C".
This is ok , as the CPU is spec'ed for 100 or 105 C.

To generate the load, i started 2 ssh shell's and executed the below in each
cat /dev/random > /dev/null

A bit of further reading
https://superuser.com/questions/443406/how-can-i-produce-high-cpu-load-on-a-linux-server
Says:
cat /dev/random has the side effect of depleting the entropy in /dev/random

So i tried the below package instead , that loaded the i5 enough to be "disruptive" ....

Code: [Select]
pkg install sysutils/stress
rehash

stress --cpu 4      - Note this made NetFlix stop , and SWMBOB noticed ....

/Bingo
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:14:40 am by bingo600 »
pfSense 2.4.1

QOTOM-Q355G4 Quad Lan.

Offline woodchip

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 07:34:04 am »
Hi all,
I have just tried installing 2.4 on a new QOTOM-Q355G4 but this does not work. I keep getting a blinking cursor right after selecting the USB boot device. 2.3 release is installing fine.
Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Something FreeBSD probably?

Also my interfaces are also, on both boxes I have.

Int 1 ---> ibg0
Int 2 ---> ibg2
Int 3 ---> ibg3
Int 4 ---> ibg1

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:12:20 am by woodchip »

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2017, 08:34:26 am »
Try UEFI boot mode for 2.4

Offline woodchip

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 08:58:49 am »
Try UEFI boot mode for 2.4
Ok I had it set to UEFI and Legacy, that did not work. Setting to only UEFI in BIOS did the job. Thanks a lot johnkeates!

Offline TommyL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 05:31:11 am »
Hi! My Q354G4 i5 5250u gets very hot. Idling at 60 degrees...room temperature 22 degrees. Is this normal?