pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: UPnP multiple hosts playing the same game using the same port  (Read 304 times)

Offline phobix

• View Profile
Hey all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to get multiple hosts to be able to play a game (For Honor) with open NAT. I can get the first one to work with the common sense UPnP settings enabled as well as static outbound. However, I feel like there has to be a cleaner way to be doing this as all consumer grade routers I have used are capable of handling multiple PCs playing the same game (using the same default port) on the same network at the same time.
This is really the last sticking point before I fully adopt pfsense as my new router. Without this key ability, I cannot justify moving away from consumer routers that "just work".
I am open to redoing my entire config to figure out the "right" way to get this done. Can anyone please help?
Thanks!

Offline trinaryatom

• View Profile
Re: UPnP multiple hosts playing the same game using the same port
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:22 pm »
I have created a post about this as well.
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=111328.msg619952#msg619952

I have followed the article you mentioned for the past year across different versions and it still produces the same problem.
Please keep in mind that UPnP problem depends heavily on what is trying to use it. It seems that specific games / services use it differently. So, what may work for you, may not work for others. It seems that all home routers handle this just fine. Which leads me to believe that the problem is somehow part of UPnP not communicating the way that it should to specific games. (Keep in mind, I am pointing my finder at UPnP because that is what looks like to be the weak link in the chain. I often wonder if there is another setting that these odd games depend on that inst obvious in the article above.)