Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Poll

Which smartphone OS do you run and why, and which brand?

Android
19 (57.6%)
Apple
12 (36.4%)
Windows
1 (3%)
Other (is there any other?)
0 (0%)
Go away
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Smartphone poll: which OS and brand?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Mr. Jingles

• View Profile
    • The FreeBSD Foundation
Smartphone poll: which OS and brand?
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:38:27 pm »
Hi all  :)

I'm trying to find out the real intrinsic core value argument. It comes from this: I have a Sony Xperia Z2, a very nice phone, but I'm waiting for a new original replacement battery - for 4 weeks now... In addition to the fact that Sony did not update Android after 6.0... ('apparently' something do with the CPU, but that is not my problem, but Sony's problem).

So, Android means 'freedom', yes, theoretically it does, but if the manufacturer refuses to update Android (even, as Sony does, not even security updates...(!)), then it's not so cool anymore...

So, I'm looking for arguments for Apple, or for Windows, or for Android, but then another brand than Sony.

Hoping people will respond to this poll en masse  ;D

Thank you :)

Offline Mr. Jingles

• View Profile
    • The FreeBSD Foundation
Re: Smartphone poll: which OS and brand?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:41:11 pm »
I took Android and Sony because Android = freedom and Sony is A-brand and Xperia Z2 = their high end line. However, I got it with Android 6, and Sony never upgraded it, not even with security updates. The audio is marvelous, it has close to stock Android with little bloatware (albeit some), it is high quality built, water proof, NFC, etc, but now my battery needed to be replaced and I am waiting for a new battery for 4 weeks. Without my smart phone for 4 weeks. All together, A-brand Sony isn't an A-brand anymore to me.

Offline bingo600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:14:34 am »
I prefer iPhone (have 6S)

But the wifey is extremely happy w. her new OnePlus 5 - https://oneplus.net/5

/Bingo
pfSense 2.4.2-p1

QOTOM-Q355G4 Quad Lan.
CPU  : Core i5 5250U
Ram : 8GB Kingston DDR3LV 1600
LAN  : 4 x Intel 211
Disk  : 240G Toshiba Sata SSD

Offline Mr. Jingles

• View Profile
    • The FreeBSD Foundation
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:40 pm »
Thank you, I was interested in WHY ;D

Offline yon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:43:14 pm »
Thank you, I was interested in WHY ;D

what is WHY ?

If you are interested in free peering for clearnet and dn42,contact me !

Offline yon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
I prefer iPhone (have 6S)

But the wifey is extremely happy w. her new OnePlus 5 - https://oneplus.net/5

/Bingo

I like big screen. 5.5 is small.  i using huawei note8 6.6
If you are interested in free peering for clearnet and dn42,contact me !

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:50:42 pm »
I like Android. Less ecosystem lock-in, and more freedom.

I have wiped and reloaded several of my phones and tablets and loaded more recent versions of Android on them after OEMs stopped putting out updates. Either through Cyanogenmod (or whatever they have turned into now) or via special builds like KatKiss. I keep old phones going a long time after I stop using them since they make great test clients for wifi or various mobile access scenarios (VPNs, etc) when developing.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline mhab12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:39:58 pm »
Longtime Android fanboy here ready to jump ship to iPhone.  I have had many gens of Galaxy s[N] and currently an S6.  More than a worn out non-user replaceable battery, my largest issue is slow-down over time.  I now have to reboot my phone daily to keep the audio drivers/services from crashing and therefor missing my wake-up alarm each morning, not to mention audio drop-outs during VM playback etc.  General slowness also occurs unless I reboot and/or manually close all other apps.  I recently wiped my cache partition and saw only minor improvement.

I recently purchased an iPad pro for flying lessons (see ForeFlight) and was extremely impressed by one feature/setting: background app refresh (or limiting thereof).  It's the one thing I have always wanted in Android and never been able to find.  Apple had it all along.  The forthcoming Android claims to have added the feature, but it is not user manageable.  Somehow Android will know what apps to allow to refresh in the background?

I don't buy it, and will be switching to Apple for that feature alone.  Also, like Jingles pointed out, the fragmented release structure of Android and bloatware pushed by Verizon, Samsung, and anyone else with enough marketing budget is too much for me.  I expect my life will be just fine never having met Bixby.

Offline bimmerdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
Longtime Android fanboy here ready to jump ship to iPhone.  I have had many gens of Galaxy s[N] and currently an S6.  More than a worn out non-user replaceable battery, my largest issue is slow-down over time.  I now have to reboot my phone daily to keep the audio drivers/services from crashing and therefor missing my wake-up alarm each morning, not to mention audio drop-outs during VM playback etc.  General slowness also occurs unless I reboot and/or manually close all other apps.  I recently wiped my cache partition and saw only minor improvement.

I recently purchased an iPad pro for flying lessons (see ForeFlight) and was extremely impressed by one feature/setting: background app refresh (or limiting thereof).  It's the one thing I have always wanted in Android and never been able to find.  Apple had it all along.  The forthcoming Android claims to have added the feature, but it is not user manageable.  Somehow Android will know what apps to allow to refresh in the background?

I don't buy it, and will be switching to Apple for that feature alone.  Also, like Jingles pointed out, the fragmented release structure of Android and bloatware pushed by Verizon, Samsung, and anyone else with enough marketing budget is too much for me.  I expect my life will be just fine never having met Bixby.
It's not uncommon for any operating system to slow down over time due to clutter from applications, temporary files and fragmentation. Before you jump ship, you should do a factory reset. That will get your phone back to original condition. If it's still slow, there may be a problem with the hardware.

Offline Mr. Jingles

• View Profile
    • The FreeBSD Foundation
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »
I can press "thank you" only once so I had to hit the others with karma-stick  ;D

Thank you for the qualitative inputs, jim, mhab, and bimmerdriver.

Yon, absolutely no offense, but there are about ten trillion lists of market shares, I would never want (dare  ;D ) to pollute this board with a poll about this.

It is more about the deeper reasons of choosing for a certain OS -> brand -> model, just like jim, mhab, and bimmerdriver did.

Thank you.

Offline chpalmer

• View Profile
    • Home of Cablenut
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 09:09:12 pm »

Android-  Because that's what the Phones I prefer have running on them.

:)
P.S. statements made by me are not necessarily condoned by the management of this fine organization.  http://badmodems.com

Offline Harvy66

• View Profile

Offline appjetty

• View Profile
    • AppJetty
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 05:51:20 am »
Android is the best OS for smartphone.

Offline bimmerdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:00 am »
I currently have both android (nexus 5 / nougat) and ios (iphone 5s running the latest update).  my nexus 5 is near death (power button) so will be switching to a hand-me down nexus 5x. Previously I had a samsung galaxy s7, which I really liked.

Having spent the last month using both, I don't know why iphone fans are so fanatical as if ios is far superiour. My impression is that ios is nothing special to deserve such fanaticism. I'm using the iphone for corporate email (outlook), salesforce and concur.

I've tried waze on both and it's virtually the same. Most apps are virtually the same on both OSes. I really dislike how inflexible the UI is on the iphone. Stock android is much better in that you have the app drawer as well as multiple tiles on the display for icons and widgets. I like the widgets on android a lot more.

The screen on the iphone is ridiculously small. I laugh recalling that Jobs resisted increasing the screen size. It took other vendors, particularly samsung introducing larger displays to force apple to follow suit. Also, narrow bezels, wireless charging, SD cards and many other features that apple has lagged android.

I will give apple credit for releasing ios updates for all of their (supported) phones at once. The android is definitely behind there, but nowhere else in my opinion.

BlueKobold

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 11:19:50 pm »
Hoping people will respond to this poll en masse
In earlier days Blackberry phones and server to be compatible and secure.
As today iOS smartphones and tablets from Apple is;
- can be good managed in the company (BYOD)
- supporting IPSec out of the box
- many useful apps for business

In private live I am also prefer to use the Android based Samsung smartphones too.

Offline bcruze

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 07:41:42 am »
i have an Apple 5 for work.  6s for personal.

i had android phones, mainly motorola and they were junk.

i switched to Apple.  and they just work

Offline mhab12

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
I made the leap from Android to iPhone on late last month and have to say that I'm not at all impressed by any particular feature.  I don't know that there is anything the iPhone does better than Andoird except for having excellent battery life and limiting background processes (to save battery life).  As bcruze said, they just work, which is often times more important than having the latest gadgetry.  My most missed feature thus far is Waze in Android Auto.

Offline Gil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 05:32:58 am »
Android - because iPhone Apple world is a closed shop.

Android is a more open world.

iPhones are very secure however
11 cheers for binary

Offline f34rinc

• View Profile
    • legoclan
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:12 am »
Android with a phone that supports Lineage OS that's in your budget.  You can buy the phone outright or a used phone and get service through a MNVO without a contract.