pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: pfSense goes "down"  (Read 424 times)

Offline AnointedOne

• View Profile
pfSense goes "down"
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:42 pm »
Hey all,

This was a problem I had in the past (and well is still current) but the frequency of it has increased over the last few minutes.

For some odd reason, though the machine I install pfsense on (and old pc) is still on, my network goes down; no internet. I will stare at the machine and it is completely on but I cannot ping it. Right now, i had rebooted it about 3-5 times. Currently pinging to monitor it but there will come a time where I will not be able to ping; then i will have to reboot.

It's a bit annoying. I have never gotten through with it.

Offline KOM

• View Profile
Re: pfSense goes "down"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:27:51 pm »
Post your system logs and maybe someone will be able to help.

Offline AnointedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:38 am »
Post your system logs and maybe someone will be able to help.

I took the machine to my home from where I was using to do further troubleshooting. I restored it to factory settings and from there monitor. Should it act up again, I'll make sure to do so.

Offline AnointedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
Ok here is what I noticed.

After a while, internet access seems to go down. I am still able to communicate with pfSense and other nodes. In checking pfSense, my WAN interface IP disappears. When I check the status of the WAN interface, there is no IP so I have to renew it. After doing so, internet is restored.

Question now is, why does my WAN IP drop thereby forcing me to renew?

Below is the log I saw. It happened around 22:40 - 22:42

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:02:30 pm by AnointedOne »

Offline AnointedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:07:07 am »
Just wanted to say after some troubleshooting on my own, I figured out the problem. It was various collisions on my USB NIC which was half duplex. Replaced it with a full duplex USB NIC and all is well now.

Offline Chrismallia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »
Just wanted to say after some troubleshooting on my own, I figured out the problem. It was various collisions on my USB NIC which was half duplex. Replaced it with a full duplex USB NIC and all is well now.

You can't use worst nics then usb

Offline AnointedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:15 am »

You can't use worst nics then usb

Well, it's what I have for now. Got to do make do with what you have. Haven't had any problems since.

Offline JKnott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:22 am »

Even half duplex alone shouldn't cause those problems, though it will reduce available bandwidth.  Unless configured otherwise, Ethernet gear should auto-negotiate duplex and bandwidth.  There were likely other issues with that USB NIC.  Are there even USB NICs that are half duplex only?  Full duplex NICs have been made for over 20 years now.