The pfSense Store

Author Topic: upgrade to 2.4.1 cant connect to pppoe wan over vlan  (Read 3253 times)

Offline xbipin

• View Profile
upgrade to 2.4.1 cant connect to pppoe wan over vlan
« on: October 25, 2017, 12:18:29 am »
i just updated to 2.4.1 on the apu2 and now cant connect to wan at all which is pppoe over vlan

Offline chrcoluk

• View Profile
Re: upgrade to 2.4.1 cant connect to pppoe wan over vlan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:10 am »
this is a known issue, will be fixed in 2.4.2.

I dont know if its fixed in the current 2.4.2 dev branch.
pfSense 2.4
Qotom Q355G4 or Braswell N3150 with Jetway mini pcie 2x intel i350 lan - 4 gig Kingston 1333 C11 DDR3L
 - 60 gig kingston ssdnow ssd - ISP Sky UK

Offline xbipin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:34:35 am »
for now i had to rename all igb.20 to igb1_20 to make it connect, why would they release it with such a bug

Offline juniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:29:34 am »
for now i had to rename all igb.20 to igb1_20 to make it connect, why would they release it with such a bug

I have two pppoe interface over VLAN

lagg0.1000

lagg0.835

and doesn't works...how can i rename for working?

Offline Grimson

• View Profile

Offline doktornotor

• Not a pfSense employee, they cannot fire me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:11:19 am »

It was allegedly done because of some ARM nonsense where some genius decided to name the interface mvneta and they found that it was too long after beginning to sell hardware with those. (Those are the SG3100 units than can be recycled as paperweight once your one year support has ended and you need to reinstall, since there are no public ARM images available.)

Renaming interfaces is about the most critical thing you can mess with on a networking gear such as firewall. So, of course a minor bugfix release is an excellent opportunity to change those, completely untested and after 2.4 has been tested for ~1 year. Sigh.

Once again, reading the release notes is important: https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-4-1-release-now-available.html

https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/7981

Yeah, once again, noone sane makes and expects such changes at this time point.
Do NOT PM for help!

Offline Grimson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:36:08 am »
(Those are the SG3100 units than can be recycled as paperweight once your one year support has ended and you need to reinstall, since there are no public ARM images available.)

I don't think so: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=126627.msg757029#msg757029
The SG-3100 will have a recovery partition which will allow you to always reinstall your SG-3100 without downloading images. You will always be able to use the factory version, not Community Edition.

Offline doktornotor

• Not a pfSense employee, they cannot fire me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:15 am »
I don't think so: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=126627.msg757029#msg757029

This doesn't work once the storage dies, plus it doesn't work when you screw up that partition either. Again, silly games that serve no useful purpose beyond being a royal PITA for users who decided to spend their money on buying Netgate hardware. (No, you cannot take those images and recycle them for other ARM boxes, ARM is not an Intel PC, so it just doesn't work like that.)

I don't care about ARM and wouldn't buy any of those boxes from Netgate either due to the above reasons... this weirdo platform is something I'd happily ignore altogether (there's not much to write home about when it comes to ARM on routers, things like Cavium Octeon are whole lot more interesting when it comes to packet processing/UTM/DPI etc.) -- if only it didn't harm the vast majority of users. There's a bunch of fixes and improvements that didn't make it to 2.4, the reason often being that more testing is required. Then you go, and start messing with kernel behind the scenes, breaking the OS altogether in RC phase. After that gets fixed and the long overdue release finally goes out, you commit apparently untested super-intrusive stuff into the very first patch version, even knowing that it's broken before you actually release that. All of that due to some niche super-minority platform you started selling a couple of days earlier.

Sigh.
Do NOT PM for help!

Offline segfooled

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:02 am »
Since this also screwed up my PPPOE unexpectedly - where can I get 2.4.0 to roll back? I have the config.xml but only see 2.4.1 for download...

Thx!

Offline xbipin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:30:33 am »

I have two pppoe interface over VLAN

lagg0.1000

lagg0.835

and doesn't works...how can i rename for working?

u need to rename under the pppoe as well as the vlan section in the config file, works well for me so far

Offline NineX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
vi /conf/config.xml

:%s/lagg0\./lagg0_/g
:wq
reboot
should solve problem

Offline segfooled

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:14:03 am »

u need to rename under the pppoe as well as the vlan section in the config file, works well for me so far

Thx - that was much easier than rolling back. Wouldn't have thought this is in config.xml but good to see!

Offline Satras

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 12:26:58 pm »
vi /conf/config.xml

reboot
should solve problem

Tried it an it seems I have now broke it.

Fed up with it at the moment. Unbelievable that they have released this update with this broken bit..

Will try again tomorrow.. Or so

Offline jahonix

• volunteer since 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 06:47:27 am »
Chris

The issue with IPv6 jokes is that almost no one understands them and no one is using them yet.

Offline NineX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 07:04:05 am »
vi /conf/config.xml

reboot
should solve problem

Tried it an it seems I have now broke it.

Fed up with it at the moment. Unbelievable that they have released this update with this broken bit..

Will try again tomorrow.. Or so

you can try roll back config to previous state then just upgrade to 2.4.2 (dev branch) as there problem is fixed
then set in upgrade section htat you wish to use stable branch.
it will not downgrade, but will upgrade you to stable with 2.4.2 release ;)