The pfSense Store

Author Topic: [2.4.0] Cannot lower bandwidth for parent queue (children using %)  (Read 175 times)

Offline drzoidberg33

• View Profile
Not sure if this is by design but seems a bit odd.

I have a shaper queue set up for 2800Kbps with all its child queues using percentages. I can increase the bandwidth value fine and the changes reflect correctly on the child queues (as seen in pftop) but when I try to decrease the bandwidth value I get the error "The sum of child bandwidth is higher than parent."

It seems like a bug as I would expect it would either work in both directions or not work at all.

Offline Harvy66

• View Profile
Re: [2.4.0] Cannot lower bandwidth for parent queue (children using %)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:24 am »
I'm pretty sure it's a bug. I've ran into it also. The validation logic incorrectly calculates the children's bandwidth based on the current root's bandwidth and not the new value. As far as I can tell, the actual values are set correctly, it's just an issue of validation giving a false positive.

Offline drzoidberg33

• View Profile
Re: [2.4.0] Cannot lower bandwidth for parent queue (children using %)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:05 am »
I'm pretty sure it's a bug. I've ran into it also. The validation logic incorrectly calculates the children's bandwidth based on the current root's bandwidth and not the new value. As far as I can tell, the actual values are set correctly, it's just an issue of validation giving a false positive.

Yes what I thought too.

To get around this now I just have to drop a few percent off one of the child queues, then set the new bandwidth and then put the percentage back.