pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: SG-2440 temp lowered from 46C to 39C  (Read 1169 times)

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
Re: SG-2440 temp lowered from 46C to 39C
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:51 pm »
I'm amazed at how people are resistant to add a heat sink sufficient to get things cool because it would mean having a larger case, but they are OK with stacking cups, which is bigger.  I mean if you have it and don't want to change it, ok.  But if you are building or buying, why not just make sure it has great cooling to begin with?  That thing is taking up more space than my mini-itx case.  Sorta defeats the purpose of buying tiny cases right?

Offline WmArnold1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 01:17:58 pm »
I'm amazed at how people are resistant to add a heat sink sufficient to get things cool because it would mean having a larger case, but they are OK with stacking cups, which is bigger.  I mean if you have it and don't want to change it, ok.  But if you are building or buying, why not just make sure it has great cooling to begin with?  That thing is taking up more space than my mini-itx case.  Sorta defeats the purpose of buying tiny cases right?

Talk to Netgate. I taped the first cup over the vent so that it couldn't be accidentally covered. The second cup, and this hyperbolic chimney thread, has been just for fun.  The factory-original 46C cpu-temp was not *that* alarming.  I'm just an obsessive/compulsive Engineer with a lot of soda-cups laying around.

Personally, I'm always amazed how some people will spend gobs of money and tons of time on technical overkill. E.g. a water-cooled Raspberry Pi  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggpIEYh9VU

Granted tho, I'm overkill here myself, on the cheap, with soda-cups out of the trash-can and poster-board. Would you recommend doing water-cooling instead?  ~grins~
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Offline stephenw10

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:44 pm »
It doesn't need that chimney, sure. But that's kinda missing the point.  ;)

It gets my vote.  ;D

Steve

Offline kejianshi

• Debugging...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:59 am »
haha - OK.  Now I understand how this came to be.  An accident with benifits.