Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Huawei ME909S-120 setup help needed  (Read 163 times)

Offline pr4499

• View Profile
Huawei ME909S-120 setup help needed
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »
Hi all,

I have a Huawei ME909S-120 which is connected to the Mini PCI-X on the motherboard. 

PFSense detects it and I have options under Interfaces -> PPPs -> new

/dev/cuaU0.0
/dev/cuaU0.1
/dev/cuaU0.2
/dev/cuaU0.3
/dev/cuaU0.4
/dev/cuaU0
/dev/cuaU1

I'm not an expert, but I am learning. I am told that cuaU0 and cuaU1 are the onboard ports on the actual motherboard and the 0.0 through 0.4 are the ports of the ME909S-120, is this correct?

I know how to SSH into pfSense, but I don't know much about what to do.  Is there a command that will help me find out which one (0.0 - 0.4) I should select in the PPPs configuration?

I'm using Telstra in Australia and I believe that the APN setting should be telstra.iph and the phone number should be *99# but I think we need to get the first bit right before testing this bit.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline pr4499

• View Profile
Re: Huawei ME909S-120 setup help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:51 pm »
anyone?

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:31:28 am »
According to the Huawei page it has:

CDC-ECM
FOTA
Firmware Update via USB
Embedded UDP/TCP/FTP(s)/HTTP(s) stack
High-speed UART
CMUX
Sleep mode

To me, that seems to mean you can put it in some CDC mode (non-UART / non-Serial) for better performance, and at the same time, the configuration will be much easier. This will make the modem appear as an ethernet port and you can then get an IP address from it via DHCP. Next, you log in to the modem's web interface and configure the rest in there. What you need is a USB mode switch command.

Offline AndrewZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »
please check my earlier post here

Offline conor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:21:20 pm »
Didn't think that module worked in pfSense what version are you using?

The /dev/cuaU0.0 is probably your data port for it.

You need to edit your /etc/remote file so you can test with the tip program. The file is going to need an entry like this:
ucom1:dv=/dev/cuaU0.0:br#115200:pa=none:

Then connect with tip to the module using

tip ucom1

Then enter the commands:

ATE
AT^ICCID?

If you get a value back with the second command then you are seeing your sim card serial number and your good to keep going and set up a PPP connection in pfSense.

Warning - using the u3g driver creating the cuaU interfaces means that even though you will select say /dev/cuaU0.0 in the PPP for the interface setup you will have problems where the module *may* come up on say /dev/cuaU1.x etc. So be warned then can be really annoying to understand and get used to.

Goto this site and setup a login they have all the up to date documents for Huawei modules, you're probably going to need them for that module.
https://techship.com/