The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Port Forward or Outbound for Black Ops 3 Multiplayer?  (Read 172 times)

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
Port Forward or Outbound for Black Ops 3 Multiplayer?
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »
Hi, Im trying to port forward my Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Multiplayer game.

I added the correct ports under "Port Forward" and allowed it to add the associated firewall rules.

I get into the game in it still says I have a "Strict NAT". Also shows port 27014 UDP as blocked, however the port is within a range of ports I opened for the game.

Should I have added the ports under "Outbound" instead?
pfSense v2.4.2 - RELEASE (amd64) running on AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard, Dell / Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad Port PCI-E Gigabit NIC Dell P/N 0H092p

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
Re: Port Forward or Outbound for Black Ops 3 Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »
Went to canyouseeme.org to check the ports I forwarded. No matter which port I try I get an error.

As an example, testing port 3074 gives - "Error: I could not see your service on (my public IP) on port (3074)".

I set logging for the rule associated with this port 3074 and the logs show pass for this rule.

I'm really not understanding what is going on here. A week ago I set this up on my older pfSense box and the port forwarding worked.

Now that I am using newer hardware for pfSense I can't get it to work. Nothing has changed on my network except the upgraded pfSense hardware and a recent windows 10 update.

I'm pretty sure my pfSense on the new hardware is configured the same as it was on the old pfSense box.
pfSense v2.4.2 - RELEASE (amd64) running on AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard, Dell / Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad Port PCI-E Gigabit NIC Dell P/N 0H092p

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
Here is a couple of screenshots of my settings

Offline Mort34122

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:41:20 am »
A quick search for "Call of Duty Black Ops 3 ports" shows a few ports missing from your setup and 3074 should be UDP and TCP.

Xbox One
UDP:    88, 500, 3544, 4500
TCP and UDP:  3074, 3075

PS4
TCP:      1935, 3480
TCP and UDP:  3478-3479, 3074, 3075

These missing ports can be handled with UPNP service, this would likely change your strict NAT to open NAT, but may require the static port NAT.
Goto Services / UPnP & NAT-PMP
Enable UPnP & NAT-PMP
Allow UPnP Port Mapping

Static port, some gaming systems like Xbox require static port NAT in PFSense, not sure if this is a bug or feature of PFSense but this is how I fixed it based on other users postings.

Firewall / NAT / Outbound
Add
Interface WAN
Protocol: any
Source: network 192.168.0.11/32
Destination: Any
Address: Interface Address
Check - Static Port

Hope this helps
R

Question, and maybe this is cause it's my first day, why do you have a deny in your WAN policy "Block all" isn't the default deny?

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 05:25:15 pm »
A quick search for "Call of Duty Black Ops 3 ports" shows a few ports missing from your setup and 3074 should be UDP and TCP.

Xbox One
UDP:    88, 500, 3544, 4500
TCP and UDP:  3074, 3075

PS4
TCP:      1935, 3480
TCP and UDP:  3478-3479, 3074, 3075

These missing ports can be handled with UPNP service, this would likely change your strict NAT to open NAT, but may require the static port NAT.
Goto Services / UPnP & NAT-PMP
Enable UPnP & NAT-PMP
Allow UPnP Port Mapping

Static port, some gaming systems like Xbox require static port NAT in PFSense, not sure if this is a bug or feature of PFSense but this is how I fixed it based on other users postings.

Firewall / NAT / Outbound
Add
Interface WAN
Protocol: any
Source: network 192.168.0.11/32
Destination: Any
Address: Interface Address
Check - Static Port
Thanks for this but I don't think those Ports are needed for me. My bad as I forgot to mention this was for the PC version of Black Ops 3.

I was however able to get it working with the game reporting I now have an "Open NAT".

At some point I will post my settings to hopefully help others but in short it came down to having to add Port Forwards with associated WAN firewall rules and also adding the ports in Static Outbound rules.

I tried doing just Outbound and that did not work. I also tried just Port Forward and that did not work. Only way I got it to work was to use both.

Question, and maybe this is cause it's my first day, why do you have a deny in your WAN policy "Block all" isn't the default deny?
I think you are right here and that block shouldn't have been there as it was rather redundant. I had actually removed it shortly after creating my first post here. I have very limited networking skills and at the same time I'm new to pfsense. Lets just chalk that up to a noob mistake.