pfSense English Support > Wireless

WLE200NX wireless card not detected pfSense 2.4.x - What did I do wrong?

(1/1)

Preacher22:
Hello,

I've purchased a WLE200NX wireless card which I strongly suspect should work fine with pfsense, but it, along with a dozen or so other atheros wireless cards that I've tried are not being detected by pfSense. The process I used to test if these cards would work for me is as follows.

Remove old adapter/install new adapter
fresh install pfsense 2.4.x
when the installation prompts to assign network interfaces, the wireless card is not listed (only the ethernet adapter is listed) - at this point it is assumed the card is not compatible.

I used to have an old acer aspire one that I reinstalled pfsense on a handful of times over the years and when fresh installing pfsense, the wireless adapter would be listed in the interface assignments portion of the installation.

I tried a handful of laptops with various atheros wifi cards, including the WLE200NX - These laptops will detect the wireless cards and can use them with Windows, but pfsense does not appear to detect them.

I see others on these forums using the WLE200NX, and in additionally it works with windows so I'm not suspecting a bios/firmware issue..

What am I doing wrong? Is there a process I can follow somewhere or can anyone share a similar experience where they were able to get pfsense working on a laptop with a wireless adapter?

monstermania:
Hi,
on which hardware do you install the wifi card?
On some boards the mPCI slots only supports usb devices!
Some more information you'll finde here: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=136224.0

best regards
Dirk

Preacher22:
Well that's an added revelation that I was completely unaware of... Thank you

However, because these cards work fine in another OS, is the notion that the 'mPCI slot may only support usb devices' somewhat irrelevant here?

pvoigt:
Hhm, not sure how related the referenced thread is. But I can confirm the WLE200NX is generally working with pfSense 2.4.x. I am using an APU2C4 mainboard. What mainboard are you using?

I am currently struggling with a smaller issue with initialization after reboot and adjusting channel width https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/7986. Apart from this the card is stable.

Peter

stephenw10:
That card should work fine (assuming the slot supports it).

Check the output at the command line or from Diag > Comnmand Prompt of :

--- Code: ---pciconf -lv
--- End code ---

You should see it listed there as:

--- Code: ---ath0@pci0:4:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x3099168c chip=0x002a168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Qualcomm Atheros'
    device     = 'AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)'
    class      = network
--- End code ---

If it's there it probably just needs to be added correctly. The procedure changed slightly since 2.3.

Go to Interface > Assignments > Wireless Tab. Hit 'Add' you should see 'ath0 (Atheros 9280)' as an option. Give it a description and save that.

Now it should appear as available for assigning like any other interface.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version