pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Delayed Web Page Load / No web page load until Manual Reload  (Read 192 times)

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
Delayed Web Page Load / No web page load until Manual Reload
« on: November 25, 2017, 10:04:29 pm »
Using pfSense 2.4.2 I am having a strange issue that causes delayed loading of some web pages. Some times (often) I have to manually reload a webpage to get it to load. Usually when a web page tries to load it will be delayed for up to about 10-15 seconds before it loads or sometimes I will get a browser error saying it couldn't find a sites DNS or the site couldn't be resolved.

Once I finally get a webpage to load it seems to load quickly when closing and then revisiting the same page... at least for a little while.

I also want to note I am using pfBlockerNG. I have no Geo blocks but instead have it set to allow the US and Mexico. I am also using several IPv4 and DNSBL list. The PC I am using for pfSense is way overkill so that shouldn't be an issue (amd quad core 3.4ghz, 1000gig sata hard drive, 4gigs ram, dell/intel quad-port server nic).

So this sounds like a DNS issue but I am unsure of what is causing it or how to diagnose and resolve it.

I know there is probably an infinite number of possible reasons this could be happening based on my configuration but has anyone else had this issue?

If so were you able to resolve the problem?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to diagnose what is causing this issue?

pfSense v2.4.2 - RELEASE (amd64) running on AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard, Dell / Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad Port PCI-E Gigabit NIC Dell P/N 0H092p

Offline BBcan177

• View Profile
    • Click for Support
Re: Delayed Web Page Load / No web page load until Manual Reload
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
You can review the pfBlockerNG forum pages here:
    https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?board=70.0

Some general 101 instructions:
    https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=102470.msg572943#msg572943

Are you on a multi-segmented LAN (ie: vlans), if so, please ensure that you can ping and browse to the DNSBL vip address. There is an option in the DNSBL tab to create a Permit firewall rule to allow the subnets to access the DNSBL vip...  If a LAN device cannot ping and browse to the DNSBL vip, then it will timeout the browser waiting for the connection.

Also make sure that the LAN devices only have the pfSense address for the DNS Server setting.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

| http://pfblockerng.com | Twitter @BBcan177  | #pfBlockerNG |

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »
Sorry for the late reply.
Are you on a multi-segmented LAN (ie: vlans), if so, please ensure that you can ping and browse to the DNSBL vip address. There is an option in the DNSBL tab to create a Permit firewall rule to allow the subnets to access the DNSBL vip...  If a LAN device cannot ping and browse to the DNSBL vip, then it will timeout the browser waiting for the connection.
I have no VLANS set up and I can ping the DNSBL VIP successfully from a PC on LAN1.

I have 4 interfaces set up, WAN, LAN1, LAN2 & WLAN all on the same Quad-port NIC. I use ExpressVPN on LAN2 & WLAN. On LAN1 interface which is set to NOT use the VPN, I have one Windows 10 Pro PC. This is also the same PC I am seeing this issue on the most however I have not thoroughly tested the devices on LAN2 & WLAN. I can say though that I do see this issue affecting my smart TV on LAN2. Since enabling DNSBL the youtube app on the smart TV is experiencing slow video load times or not playing videos at all. This could be the same issue I am seeing on my LAN1 PC or due to one of my list feeds. I will need to do further testing on it to find out.

I'm not sure if it is a related issue or not but when I do a DNS Leak Test on various websites like Hidemyass or ExpressVPN for my LAN1 PC, I see I am using my VPN's DNS(ExpressVPN) and my ISP's IP (keep in mind I'm not using the VPN on my LAN1 interface). I have no idea if this is correct behavior or not. Performing a DNS Leak Test on my other 2 LANS show no DNS leaks (Using ExpressVPN IP & DNS). I'm actually going to write another post to find out if what I am seeing on LAN1 (concerning IP and DNS) is normal behavior or not if not answered here.

I've included a few screenshots of some of my pfBlockerNG settings. Please let me know if you see something that should be changed. Also, if you need to see any of my other settings just let me know and I'll get you those screenshots as well.

Also make sure that the LAN devices only have the pfSense address for the DNS Server setting.
I have all configurable devices on each interface manually set up with static settings (couldn't manually set 2 DISH boxes). In each device I set the DNS server to the same address as the interfaces gateway. I'm still confused by the DNS resolver in pfSense but if I understand correctly, having my client devices DNS server address set to the same IP as its gateway will cause the devices to use pfSense as its DNS server?

Also concerning DNS, I am confused as to whether or not I should be using any NAT or firewall rules (or both) for DNS after reading these:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Redirecting_all_DNS_Requests_to_pfSense
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Blocking_DNS_queries_to_external_resolvers
Currently I have no rules set for DNS.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:08:19 pm by tagit446 »
pfSense v2.4.2 - RELEASE (amd64) running on AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard, Dell / Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad Port PCI-E Gigabit NIC Dell P/N 0H092p

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:54 pm »
Anyone?

Offline tagit446

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:07:34 pm »
Has no one else experienced this issue?

Trying to use my internet and having to wait for pages to load or having to refresh pages is really becoming a pain and is causing me to rethink using pfsense. I am sure it is a configuration problem but with out some help I am left clueless on this one.

I would be very appreciative if someone could help me out on this one.

Thanks