pfSense English Support > Hardware

Is this setup going to work without any errors?

(1/5) > >>

plikmuny:
Hi friends,  simply put I want to build a Chao but powerful and less watt consuming build.  Hence I came up with my own parts selection.  Can you guys review the parts and give me your feedback whether it really works or is there a better alternative one? 

AMD A4-6300, 2x 3.70GHz: CPU,  costs 27
GigaByte GA-F2A68HM-S1: Mobo, costs 36
Chieftec Compact Series IX-01B Ultra Small Form Factor Mini-ITX: case, costs  30
Mini-Box PicoPSU-90, 90W extern: power, costs 29
Mini-Box 90W universal power adapter for pico psu: costs 15
IBM i340-T4 nic card: costs 37
4GB RAM ddr3l: costs 32
64GB ssd:costs 40
Total: 246

Is it better than buying qotom mini pc or building diy kit like this?
Pls share your thoughts on my budget build.
Thanks in advance.

Grimson:

--- Quote from: plikmuny on December 01, 2017, 04:43:51 pm ---Chieftec Compact Series IX-01B Ultra Small Form Factor Mini-ITX: case, costs  30

--- End quote ---

That case AFAIK has no room for an expansion card.

plikmuny:

--- Quote from: Grimson on December 01, 2017, 04:57:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: plikmuny on December 01, 2017, 04:43:51 pm ---Chieftec Compact Series IX-01B Ultra Small Form Factor Mini-ITX: case, costs  30

--- End quote ---

That case AFAIK has no room for an expansion card.

--- End quote ---
Which case would you suggest for this combination?
When it's adjusted,  do you think it's better than qotom q350g4 with i5 4200u CPU?

Grimson:
If the NIC is a low profile version: Silverstone ML9 otherwise the: Fractal Design Node 202. Those are my personal favorites, and with those you can use a normal SFX power supply.

As for the CPU performance I'd suggest to google some benchmarks and compare them.

IMHO a selfbuild system with standard parts is always preferable, as you can upgrade/replace individual parts much easier. So I would never buy these Qotom boxes and as such don't have any experience on how they perform.

kejianshi:
Most people like to see if they can make their pfsense be about the same form factor as your average consumer router and run forever on 5w or so.

I'm with Grimson.

I like being able to easily pull and replace components and I don't like to wrestle with space, so I use cases that will fit just about any hardware.

I'm not too concerned with space or power requirements.  Just reliability. 

Everyone is different.  Depends on your wants and needs.

If you are like me, you can build a very nice and reliable pfsense using parts that people might pay you to cart away for them. 

Note - Bandwidth, throughput expectations and pps are a concern.  Extremely fast connections and some packages may require faster / newer hardware. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version