pfSense English Support > OpenVPN

Multiple OpenVPN tunnels multicore CPU

(1/3) > >>

lunkens:
I have been trying to find info on this subject for days via google. Since I do not what the technical term of this is it’s hard to to find  ::)

Multi-core CPU, multiple OpenVPN tunnels (4 tunnels to same provider) 1 tunnel to each Core for maximum speed in decrytpion. Is that possible and will it increase speed?

I see statements a Celeron Quadcore J1900 can do upto 600Mbit with 4 active tunnels. By ”balancing” load on all 4 cores.  :o

Can someone please point me in the direction of a solution? Or if it’s even possible and what ”the name” of it is called.   ;D

JKnott:
I don't think you can assign a tunnel to a core.  The operating system balances the load around the cores as needed.  You can even use CPU monitors to see that.

heper:

--- Quote from: JKnott on December 04, 2017, 08:27:48 am ---I don't think you can assign a tunnel to a core.  The operating system balances the load around the cores as needed.  You can even use CPU monitors to see that.

--- End quote ---

no but ovpn is single threaded. so on a quad-core you can't use more then 1/4 of its potential when using a single ovpn-instance.

more instances can theoretically improve throughput.... but that'll depend much on the protocols that are used. (torrents could possibly benefit, a http-session to a single website won't)

Derelict:
Each client will be its own openvpn process. The kernel scheduler will do whatever it thinks is appropriate there.

lunkens:
So if I understand this...  :o setting up 4 OPT interfaces configuring them a interface group?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version