pfSense English Support > General Questions

Backup/image tool for pfSense 2.4.2 (SOLVED)

(1/2) > >>

DeLorean:
Before pfSense 2.4.2 , you could use Win32 Disk Imager to make a backup/image a CF card, SSD or mSata ,
but since version 2.4.2 use GPT partitions, Win32 Disk Imager doesn't recognize this filesystem.

I have tried already Easy Todo Backup,  Acronis Backup (with sector by sector backup).
It shows image completed 100%, but when i use these images on another SSD or mSata,
they won't boot.
With Win32 Disk Imager you could place the image to a identical medium of same size or bigger with no problem.

So my question is, is there a tool like Win32 Disk Imager for Windows, that works properly with pfSense 2.4.2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
DeLorean

johnpoz:
what exactly would be the point of this?  Why would you not have a image you downloaded from pfsense for the specific version your running, and a backup copy of your config.  What data are you trying to save with the image?  Like your proxy cache or something?

In case of failure you just reimage from the pfsense image and restore your backup.

Love to help - just trying to understand the use case of doing such a thing.

DeLorean:
The main goal is to save the complete pfSense install + packages + settings to a .img file (or other file extention) ,
so that the complete install can be duplicated to a spare storage medium (CF, SSD , HDD or mSata) for in case
of non-booting, dead medium, problems after upgrades etc....

i'm aware of the option config saving, but this doesn't save always all installed packages.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Best regards
DeLorean

johnpoz:
hmmm... Very valid use case..

So when you tested this todo backup.. You meant EaseUS todo backup or some other "easy" todo backup?  Did you pick the optimize for ssd option.. Since it sounds like you were doing this test with a SSD.

JKnott:
There are many utilities that can save a disk image.  You can even boot Linux from a USB drive/CD/DVD and use dd to back up the entire partition.  I expect you could do the same with one of the *BSDs.  You don't need a tool specific to pfSense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version