pfSense English Support > Firewalling

Firewall rule not blocking

(1/2) > >>

I'm at my wit'n end trying to trouble shoot this issue:

Attached is the firewall rule for the lab_integration interface (

Configuration is as follows:
1.  Multiple VLANs assigned to the physical LAN device.
2.  Each VLAN on a separate and unique subnet
3.  Single WAN interface

Attached screen shot firewall rule description:
1.  Allow ICMP to any interface
2.  Allow DNS lookup to the internal DNS servers on a different subnet.  The alias AMGT_DNS defines two different DNS servers on the subnet
3.  Allow NTP sync to the internal NTP server on a different subnet.  The alias NTP_SERVER points to
4.  Allow NFS interface to the internal NFS server on a different subnet.  The alias Internal_Servers defines two different NFS servers on the subnet
5.  Allow SSH/SCP interface to the Users address (
6.  Block everything else.

Based on this set of rules, I would expect the firewall to not allow any traffic to the Internet.  However, when I run "curl", I get the response back from google.  I looked at the firewall logs and nothing show us.  However, when I look at the diagnostics-->states and filter on the machine on the network (machine IP address:, I see that NAT occurred from>  .  I don't get this at all.

I could really use the help figuring this out.

You don't need that last rule since there is a hidden Default Deny rule on all interfaces.

Did you reset your states after you made your firewall rule changes?  Established states will not be affected by a rule update.

Yes.  I did reset the states after the firewall rule changes.  No changes in behavior.

I'm scheduling a reboot of the pfsense box this weekend to see if that clears it up.

Those rules should block WWW traffic on that interface.  Are you sure you're on the interface and not some other VLAN?

Yes.  I'm sure.  Just for yucks, I moved the "block all" rule to the top and it stopped the curl command.

I will be rebooting the pfsense box tonight and see if that clears things up.

In addition, from the machine on the VLAN, here's the default routes:

[root@localhost ~]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface     U     1      0        0 eth0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Also, when I ran "curl", here's the firewall log and the state log:

Firewall log:
2 Matched Firewall Log Entries. (Maximum 2000) Pause
Action   Time   Interface   Source   Destination   Protocol
Dec 7 10:29:42   LAB_INTEGRATION   UDP
Dec 7 10:29:08   LAB_INTEGRATION   UDP

State Log:
Interface   Protocol   Source (Original Source) -> Destination (Original Destination)   State   Packets   Bytes   
LAB_INTEGRATION   udp ->   SINGLE:MULTIPLE   2 / 2   120 B / 164 B   
USERS   udp ->   MULTIPLE:SINGLE   2 / 2   120 B / 164 B   
LAB_INTEGRATION   tcp -> (   FIN_WAIT_2:FIN_WAIT_2   16 / 15   1017 B / 13 KiB   
LAB_INTEGRATION   tcp ->   ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED   28.851 K / 24.415 K   5.11 MiB / 5.83 MiB   
USERS   tcp ->   ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED   28.851 K / 24.415 K   5.11 MiB / 5.83 MiB   
USERS   tcp ->   ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED   359 / 233   26 KiB / 98 KiB   
LAB_INTEGRATION   tcp ->   ESTABLISHED:ESTABLISHED   359 / 233   26 KiB / 98 KiB   

One of my main question is the route to on the third line of the filtered states log.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version