pfSense English Support > NAT

Wan and Lan on same IP range for test lab

(1/1)

mattie01:
Hi All,
So I have just taken over a bit of network infrastructure (a couple of servers and such) that needs a bit of TLC and I want to setup a test lab that is an exact replica of a production environment on vsphere, using pfsense as a virtual router to block all network traffic between the two but allowing access to http and https so I can pull in  windows and linux server updates for testing before deploying to production.

I've had a quick look around the internet and on the forum, there are lots of references advising it is easy to do with PFsense but I haven't had much luck setting it up I guess I am missing something stupid.

So my normal network is a 172.16.x.x 255.255.0.0 with the default gateway address as 172.16.0.1, if I have the wan pickup an ip address of say 172.16.252.252 and have the pfsense interface run on 192.168.1.1 i can see the pfsense from an internal machine and can browse the internet, (I haven't placed any firewall rules in place to block anything as I wanted to wait until I can get the internet network working on the 172.16.0.x range) but everytime I try and set this up then I lose all network access to the pfsense from the machines on the inside LAN. I can still access it via vsphere.

Ideally I want the internal lan address of the pfsense to be 172.16.0.1 so that it mimics my live environment and I don't then need to change the gateway on any of the VMwares I deploy to this test lab.

I believe I have the vmware site setup correctly. with 3 switches, 1 for vsphere management connected to a real nic, 1 switch for the wan side of the pfsense vm connected to a different real nic, and another virtual switch with no real nic's assigned to it which I put all the internal test lab devices on, so the only connection they have to a working nic is via the vswitch on the WAN side of pfsense.

Also I should mention there are no VLANS on the network, that is my next project to get sorted but wanted a test lab up and running first.

As I said I am guessing I am missing something as everything I have read seems to point to say this is all possible so if anyone can help on what I am doing wrong that would be great.

thanks for taking a look.

JKnott:
You cannot have the same network address on both sides of a router.  It won't know which way to forward a packet.

mattie01:
Would it be something I could do, if I could setup an additional range of ip addresses on my normal network to be something like 172.16.240.x  as well as 172.16.0.x and then have the 172.16.240.x address assigned as the outside gateway of the virtual pfsense, then use the 172.16.0.1 as the inside interface of the pfsense?

JKnott:

--- Quote from: mattie01 on Today at 09:27:54 am ---Would it be something I could do, if I could setup an additional range of ip addresses on my normal network to be something like 172.16.240.x  as well as 172.16.0.x and then have the 172.16.240.x address assigned as the outside gateway of the virtual pfsense, then use the 172.16.0.1 as the inside interface of the pfsense?

--- End quote ---

You cannot have 176.16.240.x on both interfaces.  They must be different.  You could have 172.16.240.x on the WAN and 172.16.0.x on the LAN.

Once again, you cannot have the same address range on both sides of a router.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version