Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Changed netmask to /20 and now no internet  (Read 478 times)

Offline JKnott

• View Profile
Re: Changed netmask to /20 and now no internet
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
Why are the printers on a separate VLAN from the desktop?  Since they'll generally be used by the desktop systems, there's not much point in keeping them separate.  Also, since you're using VLANs, you don't need separate ports for computers and phones.  Common practice is to pass the computer connection through the phone.  The phone is configured for it's VLAN and the computer, the native LAN.  This requires the switch port to be configured as a trunk port with the native LAN and phone VLAN on it.  However, if you're using Cisco phones with a Cisco switch, you'd just configure an access port and use CDP to detect the phone and connect the appropriate VLAN to it.

Offline johnpoz

• Not a pfSense employee, they cannot fire me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 02:28:40 pm »
Printers are almost ALWAYS on their own vlan.. For starters in any secure enterprise desktops are on a private vlan and can not talk to each other.  So putting printers on such a vlan would prevent users from printing to them ;)

Putting them on their own vlan also normally limits the printer servers as the only things that can talk to the printer - this prevents users from directly printing to the printers and bypass any accounting or security print features that might be enabled via server, etc.
- An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- Please don't PM me for personal help
- if you want to say thanks applaud or https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
1x SG-2440 2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (work)
1x SG-4860 2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (home)

Offline zer0

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 04:43:17 pm »
Well this next week is excellent time for me to mess with my network as most of the staff is on holidays and whatever staff is here, they will be "hardly" working. I'll try out VLANs on a portion of the network and see if i make it better or screw it up more. Ill post updates.

Thank you everyone for their help.