Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Extremely Low Download Speed (0.5mbps?!) ExpressVPN (LOGS!)  (Read 609 times)

Offline Chillstice

• On a Journey to Combine Technology and Design
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Re: Extremely Low Download Speed (0.5mbps?!) ExpressVPN (LOGS!)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »
I think I finally figured it out. Although ExpressVPN was convincing me that there's no exceptional load on the Denver VPN server, I think there's something severely wrong with it. I'm starting to get sub-mbps download speeds again no matter what I do. I tried using their desktop client for testing and found that the Denver VPN server severely under-performed. Switching to the next closest server - Dallas - has yielded the following speed:
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6927565764

It's only an extra 10-15ms latency (which is still incredible) but I get my speed back.

Although a large selling point for ExpressVPN for me was the fact that they had a VPN server in my state, I found that the Dalas 2 server is far superior. Too bad they won't admit that there are problems with the Denver server.

Offline bcruze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 04:03:38 pm »
you Sir are on to something.

for PIA i have been using east coast primarily but using nslookup to find the different address and then connecting statically when one of them is slow.

i tried another coast and i have faster speed tests than ever.   WTH .

i think i'll leave this for a while.   its ALOT harder to find where the nordvpn servers are as they want you to use their tool to "automagically" find a server for you.     either way i have not been happy with their service i may end up dropping Nord. 

i never even thought to try another location... i appreciate the post

Offline Derelict

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 07:45:30 pm »
Not sure how anyone actually thought that these commodity VPN providers had a sustainable business model as traffic/subscribership increased.
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Use this diagram to describe your issue.
The pfSense Book is now available for just $24.70!
Do Not PM For Help! NO_WAN_EGRESSTM

Offline Chillstice

• On a Journey to Combine Technology and Design
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 10:50:56 pm »
k

Offline wayne622

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 11:24:59 pm »
What are you using for your monitor up for the ExpressVPN gateway? Iím trying them out and every IP I put in to monitor I am getting a high packet loss and the gateway showing offline.

Also, for the other op in order to get the locations of the NordVPN servers you have to chat with support and they will give a listing of where the servers are located.

Offline wayne622

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 11:26:00 pm »
Not sure how anyone actually thought that these commodity VPN providers had a sustainable business model as traffic/subscribership increased.

Do you have any providers that would recommend?

Offline bcruze

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:51 am »

i understand what you are saying but they advertise only 30% decrease in speeds from your ISP.    clearly their servers are overloaded/ their encryptition level is set TOO high ...  PIA servers were never as bad shockingly

i just recently subscribed to NORDvpn.  everytime i give them a chance they ruin it, so i have requested they refund my money since i am still in the trial 30 days.

i have the list of server names,  all i have to do is https://ipleak.net/ to find their location.  its just extremely time consuming

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:34:08 am by bcruze »

Offline VAMike

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 08:56:09 am »

i understand what you are saying but they advertise only 30% decrease in speeds from your ISP.
I, for one, have never seen misleading advertising or inflated claims!

The bottom line is that no VPN can avoid adding latency. Depending on what you're doing that may be a small impact or a huge impact. But, given the billions of dollars of R&D that have poured into reducing latency over the internet, it's got to have some noticeable effect. You may be willing to make that tradeoff, but be aware there is a tradeoff.

Offline bcruze

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 09:48:28 am »

i understand what you are saying but they advertise only 30% decrease in speeds from your ISP.
I, for one, have never seen misleading advertising or inflated claims!

The bottom line is that no VPN can avoid adding latency. Depending on what you're doing that may be a small impact or a huge impact. But, given the billions of dollars of R&D that have poured into reducing latency over the internet, it's got to have some noticeable effect. You may be willing to make that tradeoff, but be aware there is a tradeoff.

i had over 15 support tickets to nordvpn in the past 2 and a half weeks.  at home and work.  whether i used my pfsense box or their proprietary software.   i could not get half of my internet speed on ANY device i used. (heck it couldn't get 1/8 of my connection)

they refunded my money yesterday and I won't go back.   that was my 2nd time using their service,  the last time was 2 years ago so they have not improved at all.    buggy software, and servers either overloaded or misconfigured.

just my experience at multiple locations with multiple devices

i don't have that exact issue with PIA.    but their servers work more reliably and are faster.

i am still looking for an alternative to PIA.  i am open to any suggestion for   Pfsense/ Openvpn use and for Apple, windows 10 use