pfSense English Support > General Questions

Vm-network conecting to home network

(1/5) > >>

lars314:
Hi Guys,

I new with all this pfsense stuff, and it give me a headache... i tried a couple of times but what i do it want work :(

what try to do:

Home network 192.168.0.x (TP-LINK Archer C7 v1)
Vm-network  10.0.0.x (LAN site of pfSense box)

what i have is a server running esxi 6.0.x with a default setup pfsence box..

WAN to my home network & my LAN with DHCP to 10.0.0.x

on my LAN site i have client Win8.1 and everything is working the machine is able to go to internet..
but i also have synology NAS on my home network with all my files and  i like to acccess this files with my vm-client...

can you guys tell me what i have to do to get access to my files?

i know i have to make a route, i tried did not work :(

see attachment for network in vm

i found kinda some topic...
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=142131.15

curtisgrice:
The VMware part looks good. The thing your missing is that you need to disable NAT on pfSense.

I looked up your TP-Link and it supports static routes so this is "easy". Here are some general steps:

1. Disable NAT on pfSense
2. Set a static IP on your pfSense "WAN" from your main network but outside your DHCP range.
2. On the TP-Link add a route to 10.0.0.0/24 via the IP you set on pfSense WAN (assuming your only using 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254)
3. Add firewall rules to pfSense as needed to allow traffic from your main LAN to your pfSense LAN (10.0.0.0/24)

I'm not sure about internet access for you pfSense LAN though as the TP-Link may not NAT the extra network. I would advise getting a physical pfSense router. That way you can have all the networks "on" that physical router and have full control over NAT. That's how I do it at home and just extend the all the extra networks into ESXi via VLANs.

curtisgrice:
The other thing you can do, is run the Virtual pfSense router as your main router, then just use the TP-Link as an access point. the big downside to that is, if your ESXi goes down so does your internet/network. You have to setup auto-start for the pfSense router VM and be extremely careful about how you change settings.

lars314:

--- Quote from: curtisgrice on January 01, 2018, 03:14:07 pm ---The VMware part looks good. The thing your missing is that you need to disable NAT on pfSense.

I looked up your TP-Link and it supports static routes so this is "easy". Here are some general steps:

1. Disable NAT on pfSense
2. Set a static IP on your pfSense "WAN" from your main network but outside your DHCP range.
2. On the TP-Link add a route to 10.0.0.0/24 via the IP you set on pfSense WAN (assuming your only using 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254)
3. Add firewall rules to pfSense as needed to allow traffic from your main LAN to your pfSense LAN (10.0.0.0/24)

I'm not sure about internet access for you pfSense LAN though as the TP-Link may not NAT the extra network. I would advise getting a physical pfSense router. That way you can have all the networks "on" that physical router and have full control over NAT. That's how I do it at home and just extend the all the extra networks into ESXi via VLANs.

--- End quote ---

oke i try this thanks let you if it works :D

lars314:

--- Quote from: curtisgrice on January 01, 2018, 03:21:36 pm ---The other thing you can do, is run the Virtual pfSense router as your main router, then just use the TP-Link as an access point. the big downside to that is, if your ESXi goes down so does your internet/network. You have to setup auto-start for the pfSense router VM and be extremely careful about how you change settings.

--- End quote ---

i want to but i know nothing about pfsense and if i .... it up i have no internet ... :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version