Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Hardware advice for gateway/VPN/wifi router  (Read 460 times)

Offline imrazor

• View Profile
Hardware advice for gateway/VPN/wifi router
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:10:59 pm »
I've been pfSense for a while as a VM in ESXi. It connects an isolated virtual network to a physical NIC/LAN, and also acts an OpenVPN endpoint (to which I'm connected as I type.) I'd like to replace my aging Linksys router with something more advanced, so I was thinking of getting a "micro PC" with wifi to do the same job as the Linksys.

However, I've been advised that it's better to get a box with three NICs, connect my LAN to one, a WiFi access point to the second, and my internet connection to the third. Three NICs presents a problem in a mini-PC chassis, and I'd rather not deal with more hardware. My home office is already crowded with computers that consume a lot of power.

Does this sound like good advice? Are there any mini-PC's with wifi that can function effectively as a WAP/router/VPN appliance?

Offline johnkeates

• View Profile
Re: Hardware advice for gateway/VPN/wifi router
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »
This forum is full with options. Depending on what you want and need, there are things like:

- Qotom
- MiniSys
- SG

If you want to do a conversion, there are Watchguard Firebox devices you can use, they are small too.

Regarding the multiple NICs: it's nice to heave, but it doesn't really do anything special in your case, 802.1q VLANs are fine too. You probably already have a switch, if it's a managed switch you can have as many VLANs on the pfSense LAN side as you want and expose them to any of the ports on the switch.

Building a PC yourself or getting a 'small PC' for SoHo/Home pfSense usage is not really economical these days (unless you get them for free).

Offline Ryu945

• View Profile
Re: Hardware advice for gateway/VPN/wifi router
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:39 am »
Make sure you get one with the hardware needed to run the VPN.