pfSense English Support > General Questions

Found a bugfix, how to get it added to the wiki?

(1/3) > >>

kieranc:
I was having daily kernel panics on a box with a 4 port igb NIC and I found something that fixed it

--- Code: ---hw.igb.num_queues=1
--- End code ---

It used to be on the "Tuning and Troubleshooting Network Cards" page of the wiki until 2015 when it was removed, but apparently it's still useful, how can I get it put back on there?

mwp821:
It's still in the pfSense book.

I'm having a similar daily kernel panic that I can't solve; maybe I'll try this.

kieranc:
My panics looked like this:

--- Code: ---Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address  = 0xb0
fault code    = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer  = 0x20:0xffffffff80d0e74d
stack pointer          = 0x28:0xfffffe00f0fd2624
frame pointer          = 0x28:0xfffffe00f0fd2650
code segment    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
      = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags  = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process    = 12 (irq273: igb2:que 1)

--- End code ---

--- Code: ---Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 2; apic id = 02
instruction pointer  = 0x20:0xffffffff80d0e762
stack pointer          = 0x28:0xfffffe00f0f88624
frame pointer          = 0x28:0xfffffe00f0f88650
code segment    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
      = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags  = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process    = 0 (igb2 taskq)

--- End code ---

--- Quote from: mwp821 on February 09, 2018, 01:24:05 pm ---It's still in the pfSense book.

--- End quote ---
This is entirely possible, but it's not on the wiki and that's why you didn't find it yet :-)

johnpoz:
If you would explain how/why it fixes the panic or point me to some sources give such details be happy to add it to the wiki.

Looking for the reference in the book now. Your saying its in the current version of the book that is available to gold members?  Or an old copy and not in current?

edit:
So I found it in the book.. Nice little explanation, etc..  But not going to take the passage from the book and paste into wiki..  You sure its not in the wiki?

Ok looking at the edits, Chris removed those comments for some reason? Hmmm I don't know enough about it to know if there was a specific reason why it was removed or maybe it was an oversite, etc.  I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting it directly back in... But I could add a reference to this thread I would think.

kieranc:
As you please, I don't see the harm of it being in the wiki as "something to try if it's being weird", and I don't know why it was removed.
My box has currently been up for over 2 weeks after daily reboots before I applied the tweak, so while I don't know how it works, I can confirm that it resolved my issue, so I think it has value.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version