Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Accessing one subnet from another subnet.  (Read 260 times)

Offline mtarbox

• View Profile
Re: Accessing one subnet from another subnet.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:59 am »
Well, I thank you all for the input. Somehow, somewhere I goofed something up, and had to take the entire miscondigured system down. Luckily I do have some older backups before I started making major changes. But itís time to figure it out.

Online johnpoz

• Not a pfSense employee, they cannot fire me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:03:32 am »
You really should put your networks behind pfsense... Does pfsense box have another interface you can use?  or you going to need to invest in a smart switch... Cheap can be had for $30 or less even.. Just stay away from the tplink cheap ones - they don't handle vlans like they say they do.

If our pfsense has another interface just use your wifi routers as AP and switch ports and you can isolate your 2 networks that way.  As to pfsense wan side - sure its nicer to put public on pfsense wan.  But a double nat also will work..

If you need some help in how to set this all up - just ask...
- An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- Please don't PM me for personal help
- if you want to say thanks applaud or https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
1x SG-2440 2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (work)
1x SG-4860 2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (home)

Offline mtarbox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »
Thanks @JohnPoz.

I'm going to buy a Netgear GS108Ev3. Says it does VLAN's, relatively cheap.

Modem, PFSense, Netgear switch, wireless AP's, then dumb switches.

Sadly i have one of those cheap Qotom boxes with only two ports, so no OPT1 availability.

I also have to read up on both of the wireless AP's. The issues all started when I took the Linksys out of bridge mode, and it created all sorts of havoc. Somewhere traffic was being blocked.

When I go to do all of this, I am going to do a fresh install and work my way from there.

TRUST ME, I will be asking questions.

Offline mtarbox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:44:45 pm »
NAT rules went to seed.
I think that I had clicked them disabled, but hadn't clicked save yet. And somehow, someway, they saved.
The new switch arrived today, and while I don't have VLANS figured out, it is capable of doing them. That is something to do on another day as I split wood, and loaded and unloaded three truck loads today.