Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: Squid and YouTube  (Read 88 times)

Offline PctSevens

• View Profile
Squid and YouTube
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »
So, I've got an interesting scenario.  Only a couple of weeks ago, I ran into issues where watching YouTube videos bogged down my internet connection to the point I had to reboot my PFSENSE router.  We would see our internet speed just fade away - nobody could do anything - no surfing/streaming/anything.  If I do anything else (surf, work, watch other streaming services like Hulu or Twitch) we didn't have any slowdowns.  But, start watching YouTube videos and after a while we saw our internet speed go to 0 until we rebooted the router.

I'm running PFSENSE on an Sony Vaio old laptop with a 10/100/1000 internal NIC and a 10/100/1000 Express Card NIC.  I use Google Fiber so I have gigabit speeds (and get Gigabit speeds).  I'm running PFSENSE 2.4.2-RELEASE-p1 (amd64) with only Snort and Squid running.  I use Squid only to act as an anti-virus filter for when people surf the Internet. 

Through process of elimination, I was able to determine that turning off Squid seems to have rectified the problems.  Snort doesn't seem to contribute to the problem. 

So, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Is there something about Squid and YouTube?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.