The pfSense Store

Author Topic: a pfSense roadmap  (Read 2284 times)

Offline doktornotor

• View Profile
Re: a pfSense roadmap
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »
With it disabled and/or not recommended, it does not hurt pfSense.

I guess you figure the code is self-maintaining. And also will rewrite itself to Python by some magic.
Rewrite the code once to Python and thats it. End of support.

I assume you volunteer to do the job...  ::)

Offline riahc3

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 01:16:13 pm »
With it disabled and/or not recommended, it does not hurt pfSense.

I guess you figure the code is self-maintaining. And also will rewrite itself to Python by some magic.
Rewrite the code once to Python and thats it. End of support.

I assume you volunteer to do the job...  ::)
You are avoiding the subject.

2.3 is to released soon.
3.0 is to be released in a distant future.

Leave it as-is right now unsupported in 2.3 (PHP), 2.3.1 (PHP), 2.3.2 (PHP), 2.4 (PHP), etc.

THEN when the rewrite in Python comes (3.0) if noone wants to rewrite it in Phyton, then don't. Release the 3.0 release without PPTP.

Do I need to spoonfeed you any further?

Offline riahc3

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »
Also, from what I understood, the team wants to move away from having a pfSense distribution to being a package called pfSense that runs on FreeBSD.

If this is so, technically you would install FreeBSD then install a package called "pfSense" and if you still want to, you can install a package that acts like a PPTP server on FreeBSD. Thats what I understood from the blog post although I might be mistaken.

I think that would be great personally :)

Offline doktornotor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »

No, thanks. Enough time wasted debating obvious junk that should already have been removed, since it's been utterly broken for years.

Offline riahc3

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »

No, thanks. Enough time wasted debating obvious junk that should already have been removed, since it's been utterly broken for years.
I just want to go on record saying I personally use SSTP and/or OpenVPN. I do understand certain scenarios (like I listed) where PPTP might come in handy (even as a quick test).

Offline gonzopancho

• Chief cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:05 am »
Also, from what I understood, the team wants to move away from having a pfSense distribution to being a package called pfSense that runs on FreeBSD.

If this is so, technically you would install FreeBSD then install a package called "pfSense" and if you still want to, you can install a package that acts like a PPTP server on FreeBSD. Thats what I understood from the blog post although I might be mistaken.

I think that would be great personally :)

both will exist, but having pfSense as a package (including 'base') will allow us to update individual components.  I suppose if someone wanted to create a "PPTP package" and add it in, that would still work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:10:22 am by gonzopancho »