The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Vendor Area  (Read 3821 times)

Offline gonzopancho

• Chief cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Vendor Area
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »
We have received a number of complaints about someone promoting hardware from various Chinese / Taiwanese vendors.

In response to these, there is now a "Vendor" area that is a child of the "Hardware" board.

Posts (and responses) with obvious commercial content belong in "Vendor", not "Hardware".   Posts in "Hardware" that have obvious commercial intent will either be moved to the "Vendor" area, if appropriate, or deleted (if they're just too spammy).  Continued abuse will be dealt with via other methods (Bans, etc.)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:36:10 pm by gonzopancho »

Offline DragonPF

• View Profile
Re: Vendor Area
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
In other words you've received a number of complaints from some random idiots and then you had a knee-jerk reaction.

I am not a "Vendor", what I posted was just the same as any other hundreds of ebay links others have posted here.

In my thread, I made sure the "spamming" factor was out of the question by posting multiple links from multiple sources, and I also posted the keyword I used to find those links, people can find their own links using the same keyword. But no, a few bitter idiots got jealous and started complaining about "spam", and the mods here reacted without thinking, Chris said he didn't even read the thread when he deleted it, of course he didn't, if he did he'd know it wasn't a spam.

Let's face it, the box I posted made similar hardware on the current market seem 200% over priced and 300% over sized. It was DISRUPTIVE to the market, and it was a direct threat to all you middlemen out there who makes a living by ripping people off. That is the real reason people and the mods here reacted to it. If what I posted were just another random overpriced piece of shit nobody would have gave a shit, the tread wouldn't have attracted so many views and replies and nobody would have complained.

The thread got popular not because I was "Spamming", but because what I posted had great value. All I did was made one thread to talk about some hardware, it's not like I was going around posting links everywhere, I made ONE thread to talk about a box, and you had to go create a forum to contain it because people complained? What are you an idiot? You can't make your own judgement? Who gives a fuck what a few idiots said if the thread ended up helping the community over all.

Now a few weeks has gone by, read the number of good reviews from the people who've bought the box, and tell me with a straight face I didn't help the people on this community.

Not everyone lives in America, stop calling every non ebay link a spam, or perhaps the pfSense team is too narrow minded to be aware of that fact.

Online Supermule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:40:41 am »
Consider the fact that Netgate that sells hardware, plays a role in ESF/Pfsense. What should they do when this pops up and are very cheap and working? They wouldnt sell anything....

And that maybe the real reason that this got deleted.
Kind regards Brian

Offline gonzopancho

• Chief cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:57:58 pm »
no, but I understand your suspicion.

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »
Consider the fact that Netgate that sells hardware, plays a role in ESF/Pfsense. What should they do when this pops up and are very cheap and working? They wouldnt sell anything....

And that maybe the real reason that this got deleted.

If it were that good, and reliable, we'd probably start selling it (or some variant thereof), too.

To certain people, lots of things seem "over priced and over sized" but some people need the size (and then some). The very low-end devices don't bite into sales much. Odds are they would primarily take the place of self-sourced builds and repurposed hardware neither of which make the project any money right now unless those people also purchase a Gold Subscription or Support. It may perform better than ALIX (which is close to EOL) but I wouldn't say it's quite as "disruptive" as is claimed. It may get used in place of someone reformatting an old Watchguard box or buying a random old thin client off eBay, but I doubt they'll pop up in server racks pushing high-end traffic like the stuff generating more revenue does.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline MikeX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »
In other words you've received a number of complaints from some random idiots and then you had a knee-jerk reaction.

I am not a "Vendor", what I posted was just the same as any other hundreds of ebay links others have posted here.

In my thread, I made sure the "spamming" factor was out of the question by posting multiple links from multiple sources, and I also posted the keyword I used to find those links, people can find their own links using the same keyword. But no, a few bitter idiots got jealous and started complaining about "spam", and the mods here reacted without thinking, Chris said he didn't even read the thread when he deleted it, of course he didn't, if he did he'd know it wasn't a spam.

Let's face it, the box I posted made similar hardware on the current market seem 200% over priced and 300% over sized. It was DISRUPTIVE to the market, and it was a direct threat to all you middlemen out there who makes a living by ripping people off. That is the real reason people and the mods here reacted to it. If what I posted were just another random overpriced piece of shit nobody would have gave a shit, the tread wouldn't have attracted so many views and replies and nobody would have complained.

The thread got popular not because I was "Spamming", but because what I posted had great value. All I did was made one thread to talk about some hardware, it's not like I was going around posting links everywhere, I made ONE thread to talk about a box, and you had to go create a forum to contain it because people complained? What are you an idiot? You can't make your own judgement? Who gives a fuck what a few idiots said if the thread ended up helping the community over all.

Now a few weeks has gone by, read the number of good reviews from the people who've bought the box, and tell me with a straight face I didn't help the people on this community.

Not everyone lives in America, stop calling every non ebay link a spam, or perhaps the pfSense team is too narrow minded to be aware of that fact.

Oh I'm sorry… Is this forum that is provided for free for FREE software that's better than most enterprise solutions not good enough for you?

Go away, and try to respect people a little bit next time. Especially the ones who do this for next to nothing to provide a FREE service to you.