pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: pfSense on a Watchguard Firebox x550e  (Read 179824 times)

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
pfSense on a Watchguard Firebox x550e
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:52:30 pm »
Hey everyone,

I was searching around and came across this thread for the X700 http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,7458.0.html I've tried installing pfSense on a CFcard, but it will not boot. I was wondering if anyone here has successfully installed pfSense on this exact firewall? I'm wondering if I need to buy some type of hard drive to CF adapter or something. I'm using the CFcard that came with the Firebox. I can also post up pictures of the Firebox if needed. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Offline jjgoessens

• View Profile
    • personnal site
Re: pfSense on a Watchguard Firebox x550e
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:16:57 pm »
Hello,

I know that CF from watchguard are 32M, are you sure your card is sized correctly to install pfsense ?

You may have some incompatibilities with some CF cards on some computers, but if it is the original card, it should work!

Have you the possibility to test it in another computer with an IDE/CF adapter (a few euros/pounds on ebay...)??

Jean Jacques

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »
The card that came with this Firebox was a 256mb card. It had a little "don't remove or warrenty if void" sticker. :) Could you recommend a IDE to CF card adapter? I might give that a try and see how well it works.

Offline wallabybob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:12:19 pm »
Could you recommend a IDE to CF card adapter?
I don't have a Firebox but I have bought a few different types of "no name" IDE to CF adapters on Ebay and they all seem to work OK. They are cheap enough that you could buy a few to cover the possibility of getting a broken one. There are a number of different types including some that plug into motherboard IDE connectors, some that plug into IDE cables and some that are mounted on a I/O panel so that can be mounted in a standard PC case at the "back end" of an unused PCI or ISA slot. (Can change CF card without opening the box.)

Offline jjgoessens

• View Profile
    • personnal site
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:24 am »
hello,

if it's a 256M, it is enought.
also, if it comes from the machine itself, ther is no incompabilities issues.

as those two thin,gs cannot be the cause of the trouble, you may check :

- how did you create the CF ? copy an image with a 'dd' or a 'cat' command ?
- can you check if image is well copied on the card ?
- are you sure the partition is bootable (normaly yes if copied from an image file)
- did you notice some messages on serial port ? are there some error messages

one current issue is a disk name error. if i remember, images are written for a cf in /dev/da0, in your system it may have a different name, so you have to fix the /etc/fstab accordingly to the name given in your machine.
by examining the dmsg or the startup messages, you can check the real name to be used.

what i recommend to you to go further:

the firebox is a blind box, so you do not know what happend, ther are 2 possibilities :

1- check the CF with software on another PC (needs the CF/IDE adaptor, or a CF/USB if the PC can boot on usb disk) - like that you can check if CF is ok, if it is ok, you are sure the problem is above, so in all cases you are obliged to go to step 2.

2- have a look in what is happening inside the firebox:
  - connect a null modem cable between the serial port of the firebox and your pc,  and look at the ouput with a terminal software (linux minicom is nice for that) if there is some.. (there are messages only if the machine can boot)
  - add a video card to see post messages, including eventual problems before/during booting.

I do not know this machine, internal pictures are welcome!

I know that firebox x500 and above series have a PCI slot so you can put a pci graphic card, i do not know if firebox x550e have the same?

Jean Jacques

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:11 am »
I followed the wiki and zcat the image over to the CFcard. I'm doing this from a Linux box (not that it matters, but just wanted to point that out.) When I put the card in, I access the FB using 9600 8 N 1 and nothing comes up on the screen. I did verify that the cable and connection is correct. I believe it does has a PCI slot. But, I'm not sure if a video card would fit in there. It's a tight space. :)

Here's some pictures I took real fast. Sorry for the quality, Apple doesn't make the best camera.

That second picture is an open connection that I'm seeing. It says CN_IDE2 on the mobo. I'm guessing that's where I can hook up a IDE to CD adapter?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:25:41 pm by Hydraulix »

Offline dotdash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:47 am »
I think someone posted this link in the FB700 thread. Anyway, lots of pictures here in the recycling document: http://www.watchguard.com/docs/corporate/wg_peak-eDe-MFR_instructions.pdf

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:08:11 pm »
I think someone posted this link in the FB700 thread. Anyway, lots of pictures here in the recycling document: http://www.watchguard.com/docs/corporate/wg_peak-eDe-MFR_instructions.pdf

Wow, this is great. Thanks for the link. It looks like that slot is for some type of LAN board. I'll see whats wrong with my CFcard.

Offline jjgoessens

• View Profile
    • personnal site
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »
Hello,

while looking the pictures, i can see the pins between the connector and the card, the card does not seems to be plugged (pushed) correctly. :o

This may explain that it doesn't work ?

If you can post internal views of the divice it will be interessing, i think.

Jean Jacques

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 01:12:45 pm »
Hello,

while looking the pictures, i can see the pins between the connector and the card, the card does not seems to be plugged (pushed) correctly. :o

This may explain that it doesn't work ?

If you can post internal views of the divice it will be interessing, i think.

Jean Jacques

Nope, I just made sure everything is plugged it tight. I think it's just how the picture looks. I just purchased a 4GB CFcard. So, I'm going to give that a try and see how it works out. I'll also take better pictures with my camera tomorrow.

Offline z0rk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:30:26 am »
I followed the wiki and zcat the image over to the CFcard. I'm doing this from a Linux box (not that it matters, but just wanted to point that out.) When I put the card in, I access the FB using 9600 8 N 1 and nothing comes up on the screen. I did verify that the cable and connection is correct. I believe it does has a PCI slot. But, I'm not sure if a video card would fit in there. It's a tight space. :)

Try 115200 with no flow control. Should work.

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
Ah ha!

It looks like my card reader was not writing the image correctly. I tried a new reader and I'm able to boot into pfsense. I want to thank everyone again for helping me out. :)

Offline secure.boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:41:10 pm »
can you post some pics of the motherboard?

Offline jjgoessens

• View Profile
    • personnal site
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »
Hello,

please could you post a few pictures of x550's internal. it seems to be different from x500 / x700

Regards,

Jean Jacques

Offline Hydraulix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 09:41:48 am »
Sure thing. Here's two more shots of the firebox. Again, sorry for the poor quality.