The pfSense Store

Author Topic: TINYDNS warning  (Read 5957 times)

Offline homemade

• View Profile
TINYDNS warning
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:40 am »
PFSENSE- Great Product

Purpose:
The purpose of this topic is to find what caused my problem in DJBDNS TinyDns, and fully document to myself and others what to do.

MY System is running:
1. pfSense 1.2.3 Pre-release
2. installed tinydns server (dns server)

Problem:
I created a situation that produces the errors below.
Results: when trying to change DNS records through both methods located at
Method 1: Services > DNS Servers > Add/Edit Record
Method 2: Services > DNS Servers > New domain wizard
Warning: Missing argument 6 for tinydns_get_rowline_data() in /usr/local/pkg/tinydns.inc on line 607
Warning: Missing argument 6 for tinydns_get_rowline_data() in /usr/local/pkg/tinydns.inc on line 607
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/pkg/tinydns.inc:607) in /usr/local/www/pkg_edit.php on line 35

Scenario:
This is what happened to produce the problem.
*People do not do the listed statements below.
a. Make backup XML copy of whole server.
b. I installed package TinyDNS.  I have 9 domain names that needed to be registered.
c. So I theorized that I could copy data.cdb files from my other name servers.
d. cd /etc/tinydns/root/
e. I made a backup of my /etc/tinydns/root/data file.  I did not make a backup copy of my data.cdb file (forgot too - people when making direct changes, copy the whole directory.)
f. Via djbdns instructions I replaced my /etc/tinydns/root/data with my "data" file from the other servers.
g. I typed "make" at the command prompt.  This did not work under pfSense
h. I typed "tinydns-data" at command prompt. I assumed this did something.
i. Logically and discretely assumed that data file is not important to build binary records tor tinydns because my list via the GUI did not reflect the domain records that should have been appended to the list. So I assumed it is controlled by the backup config.xml file
j. So I started adding records via the GUI located at "Services > DNS Servers > New domain wizard".  Everytime I added a new domain the above problem (warnings) were produced.
k. I looked at the line located in that warning statement.  The Switch Case "MX" contains if($dist).  Even in other cases I get warnings because $dist is not set (!isset($dist)).  No value is being passed.  I could add $dist=null in the function tinydns_get_rowline_data() parameters.
l.  I removed the package and reinstalled it.  The warnings still appear.

QUESTIONS:
Is this a serious threat precluding a malfunctioning package? I assume it is not.
Is it safe to make changes to the ~tinydns.inc file?

FUTURE:
I will probably solve it before anyone helps because I am going to try to remove these warnings via the code and the deletion of files on my server.

Offline homemade

• View Profile
Re: TINYDNS warning - Do not alter the root or root.cdb file under tinydns
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:56:01 am »
 ;)I got rid of the warnings by

1. I restored my pfsense box with yesterday mornings XML backup file via the GUI. This does not remove all of the tinydns files or directories. So login to server via SSH > SHELL (8)
2. At the command prompt # "cd  /usr/local/pkg"
3. At the command prompt # "mkdir tinydns"
This just creates a backup dir for the tinydns files that were still on my server.
4. At the command prompt # "mv tinydns*.* tinydns/"
5. At the command prompt # "mkdir /etc/tinydns-backup/
6. At the command prompt # "mv /etc/tinydns /etc/tinydns-backup
7. Now I went back to pfSense GUI.
8. I Reinstalled the Tinydns Package
9. I added "New domain through wizard"
10.  No more warnings appeared.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ME.
I did all of this because I was trying to replicated my data.cdb file.
So I can still do this but probably using scp to my old master dns server that is not pfsense. And then I can rsynce my slaves.

Peace.

Offline homemade

• View Profile
Re: TINYDNS warning - fail over
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:18 am »
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/pkg/tinydns.inc:607) in /usr/local/www/pkg_edit.php on line 35

Found Problem:
I am getting the warning when I check the reverse PTR for a domain option. I will further look into it after some sleep.