pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: HOW TO - EASY (wireless) bridge configuration in 2.0  (Read 108524 times)

Offline fastcon68

• View Profile
Re: HOW TO - EASY (wireless) bridge configuration in 2.0
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »
I used the blog steps and it worked.  But it was not quite what I was trying to do.  In version 1.2.3, I could bridge ports to a existing port.  Version 2 is quite different it takes a little more planning before you just jump in.

The other version made it just a little bit easier to set up and be able to add and subtract ports.
RC

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO - EASY (wireless) bridge configuration in 2.0
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 10:59:34 am »
I used the blog steps and it worked.  But it was not quite what I was trying to do.  In version 1.2.3, I could bridge ports to a existing port.  Version 2 is quite different it takes a little more planning before you just jump in.

The other version made it just a little bit easier to set up and be able to add and subtract ports.
RC

You can still bridge ports together by just adding them to the bridge, you don't have to assign the bridge interface. It's just better in the long run to do it that way.

The main problem with failing to assign the bridge interface is that if the interface holding the IP goes down, the whole bridge goes down. When you have the bridge assigned and the IP on the bridge interface, any interface can go down without problems.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!