The pfSense Store

Author Topic: Is Pfsense 2.0 Stable enough for a 5 user network?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline bman2883

• View Profile
Re: Is Pfsense 2.0 Stable enough for a 5 user network?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:12 am »
Hi,

I've been running the 2.0 alpha for awhile (home user) and it's been perfectly fine for what I've been doing....quick question, was the kernel debugging turned on in the alpha? (I'm assuming yes) Just curious as the 2.0 alpha performance has been fine so if I can upgrade to the beta with no degradation all the better...

Also, I think I had loaded the BSD 7.0 based 2.0 alpha, and I notice that all the snapshots are 8.0 based...can I still just run the upgrade image?

Thanks!
bman

Offline maplewing

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:53:50 pm »
It will probably be quite a while. People are still seeing panics here and there, and there are a lot of in-kernel changes/patches that haven't seen enough testing yet.

You are always welcome to setup a builder and roll your own iso/update files without debugging if you wish. The process is pretty easy these days.

Hey jimp,
Do you have a link to some instructions on rolling your own iso without debugging enabled? I would like to do this to improve performance, for one, but also because the debugging kernel does not automatically reboot on crash, which leaves the network down.

Thanks,
-paul

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:07:05 pm »
The setup of a builder system is described here:

http://devwiki.pfsense.org/DevelopersBootStrapAndDevIso

You would need to edit the kernel configuration before starting the build. The kernel configurations files are under tools/builder_scripts/conf/ and you'd need to edit whichever one you will build (e.g. pfSense.8 for a build of pfSense 2.0 on FreeBSD 8 )
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!