Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall

Author Topic: DynDNS.com Update  (Read 7578 times)

Offline TwigsUSAN

• View Profile
DynDNS.com Update
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:33:01 pm »
Hello everyone.  First off, I have to say that I am a newb with pfSense.  I heard about pfSense while listening to FLOSS on the twit.tv network  Since then I have been running a pfSense box for about 4-5 months.

I just started to really use the dyndns update so I can VPN into my home network and also to make VOIP calls from my PBX.  Yes, I know, I'm not normal.

Well, I've have been have trouble with pfSense updating my ip address.  It seems to update it when it feel like.  My internet service is a PPoE connect with DHCP with a wireless internet provider.  Normally what happens is I can ping/access my network for a day or two.  Then I have no access for another day or two.  My guess is that I have had a ip address change, but it's not getting updated to dyndns.com.  Is there a way to have pfSense update the ip address more often then it does?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm currently running 1.2.3.  Would love to install 2.0, but I want to wait until I can obtain a newer server.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cry Havok

• Global Moderator
  • Backup: n. What you should have done yesterday.
    • View Profile
Re: DynDNS.com Update
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »
You need more than guesses to troubleshoot with.

Is pfSense the device with the WAN IP, or does your modem have the WAN IP?  Have you checked the logs of the update client to find out what's happening?  When you can't access it remotely can you connect out from the network (in other words, is it that you've lost Internet access)?
If you're planning on PMing me to ask me to look at a thread, or for individual support, don't.

Offline TwigsUSAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:46:38 pm »
You don't have to talk to me about basic troubleshooting steps.  Unfortunately, when it normally occurs, I'm already out of town and not at home to look at things.  I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue and if there was a way to update to dyndns.

What I can tell you is that when it does occur, the internet connection still works.  If it didn't my wife would complain, along with my alarm system.  That's why I'm thinking it might be an issue that when the IP address changes, dyndns isn't getting updated right away.  From the logs, it shows the my IP address hasn't changed.  One time when I looked at dyndns.com it showed a 192.0.5.X address, which I have nothing in my network with that IP scheme.

Also, the pfSense handles the IP address.  There is no "modem" that most people are used to with DSL and Cable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:52:14 pm by TwigsUSAN »

Offline Cry Havok

• Global Moderator
  • Backup: n. What you should have done yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 04:46:07 am »
A well behaved (according to DynDNS) client only checks every 5 minutes, so it's normal for there to be a delay between the change of IP and the update.  There should still be log entrys some days later, so you should still have the information you need to help narrow down the issue.

That you're seeing an IP on the "wrong" network however makes it sound like you've got something else performing updates.  Try changing the password on the account and then change the settings on pfSense only.  Unfortunately pfSense uses ez-ipupdate, which I've never used before so I'm not familiar with it - it also isn't one of DynDNS's recommended update clients which suggests that they've found it to be less then perfectly behaved.
If you're planning on PMing me to ask me to look at a thread, or for individual support, don't.

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:02 am »
The DynDNS code was overhauled a bit for 2.0, so it's really worth giving that a go to see if the same kind of problems persist there. given the amount of things that changed in that area, it isn't likely to have the same bugs as 1.2.x.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!