pfSense English Support > Installation and Upgrades

PFSense: can't ping WAN IP

(1/1)

tomtom901:
Hi all,

Just installed my first PFSense box as a XenServer 5.6 virtual, but I can't seem to get it down. I installed it without VLANs and with re0 and re1. However, I assigned a WAN IP to re0 (this is the WAN interface) but I can't ping the IP. I can ping to 8.8.8.8 (google DNS) and the default gateway, but the IP address assigned to the interface cannot be pinged.

The LAN interface (10.0.0.254/24) can be pinged from 10.0.0.1 for example. What could be wrong in this case, assuming that I can ping from the PFSense box to outside, but not from outside to the WAN IP of the PFSense box.

Thanks for thinking guys!

wallabybob:

--- Quote from: tomtom901 on March 02, 2011, 05:26:40 pm ---Hi all,

Just installed my first PFSense box as a XenServer 5.6 virtual, but I can't seem to get it down. I installed it without VLANs and with re0 and re1. However, I assigned a WAN IP to re0 (this is the WAN interface) but I can't ping the IP. I can ping to 8.8.8.8 (google DNS) and the default gateway, but the IP address assigned to the interface cannot be pinged.

The LAN interface (10.0.0.254/24) can be pinged from 10.0.0.1 for example. What could be wrong in this case, assuming that I can ping from the PFSense box to outside, but not from outside to the WAN IP of the PFSense box.

--- End quote ---
Please provide the exact ping command, the  response, the IP address of the system on which you are issuing the ping.

tomtom901:
Just a basic request time out..

MacBook-Pro:~ mbp$ ping {ip}
PING {ip} (ip): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
^C
--- {ip} ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

As said before, the LAN interface (10.0.0.254) however can be pinged from another client in the same internetwork.

wallabybob:
Does a firewall rule block (and log) your ping attempt? See firewall log in web GUI: Status -> System logs, click on Firewall tab.

On my pfSense box I get responses when I ping the IP address of the LAN interface and the IP address of the WAN interface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version