pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: Trouble setting up package repo  (Read 1290 times)

Offline stephenw10

• View Profile
Trouble setting up package repo
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »
Hi All,
After hitting a steep learning curve on several occasions over the last few months (and rolling back down it!) I finally got stuck into setting up my own package repository so I can play with some packages.
It's taken me a ridiculous amount  of time to get where I am (which is no where!) but now I seem to be completely stuck.
I'm using the same FreeBSD 8.1 machine I have setup for compiling to host the repo. I have installed apache 2.2 and php5.2. That took ages!  ::) I have installed pear and the xml_rpc package for pear but when I go to <myserver>/pkg_tester.php I get:
Code: [Select]
Fatal error: Class 'PEAR' not found in /usr/local/www/apache22/data/pfSense/xmlrpc_client.inc on line 41
Any thoughts? As you can probably guess this is way outside my experience.

Also the wiki article says:
Beware, this repository is very large, and will consume a lot of disk space.
However when I cloned it from github it was around 80MB. Is that right?

Thanks for any comments.  :)

Steve

Offline stephenw10

• View Profile
Re: Trouble setting up package repo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
Ok I fixed that error. I had to install the php-xml extension.
Then I got another error which was resolved by installing the php-pcre extension. All good now though.  ;D

Steve

Offline tommyboy180

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TomSchaefer.org
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »
Awesome. We should get a public (or at least friend invite only) repo for beta or under development packages. That way we can help with packages and dev faster.
-Tom Schaefer
SuperMicro 1U 2X Intel pro/1000 Dual Core Intel 2.2 Ghz - 2 Gig RAM
TomSchaefer.org/pfsense
Please support Countryblock | IP-Blocklist | File Browser | Strikeback Here

Offline stephenw10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:36 am »
Good idea.
After I've finished botching this install I don't think I'd want to host anything publicly on it!  ::)

Steve

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:58 pm »
The wiki article here:
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Creating_Your_Own_Package_Repository

Was written before when the repo was on rcs.pfsense.org. Over the years people have checked in all kinds of binaries into the repo, and they don't belong there. Only the PHP/xml/scripts belong in there. So when we moved to github a lot of that data that shouldn't have been in the repo was purged (lots of .tgz/.tbz files add up quickly in size!) and moved to where it should be on files.pfsense.org.

As a consequence of that purge, the size has reduced quite a lot. It used to be nearly 1GB in size between the data and the history in the .git directory. It's still nearly 200MB.

Code: [Select]
pfSense-packages$ du -k -d 1
88258   ./.git
110476  ./config
198970  .

When developing packages, especially making new ones, having your own repo is quite handy. It's even better if you make your own fork of the packages repo on github and work with that on your server as you make changes. Then once you have it ready you can just submit a merge request there.
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!