pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: [Thread Closed] 2.1 Package Testing  (Read 18896 times)

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
[Thread Closed] 2.1 Package Testing
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »
Since the 2.1 package building process is shaping up and there are a lot more PBI binaries up now, we could use some help tracking down what packages do or do not work (and if they don't, how they're broken...)

I have started a spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AojFUXcbH0ROdEFZcC1GbEV6ekpqcXFEZTE5TGpzaXc

The purpose of this thread is just for quick yes/no reports about packages and if they work or not, and maybe if they don't work a quick description of how.

I don't expect many problems from purely PHP packages (like shellcmd or cron) but because PHP 5.3 depreciated some functions you might get some PHP errors that will need to be fixed up.

Mostly if you are currently using a package on 2.1 with success and it's not marked with a 'Y' in the "working" column, I'd love to know about it so I can fill in the sheet. If not, drop a note here with a link to a thread here on the 2.1 board (or a redmine ticket, but forum is best if it doesn't exist yet) about a specific package that's known to be broken and I'll mark it as not working.

The packages marked as being disabled are known to be not working so we don't need reports for those just yet.

Thanks!

I'll be cleaning up this thread a bit once things are addressed/noted.

Many fixes for PBIs happened this week, in snapshots and the package repository. Be sure you are on a snapshot dated June 23rd or later before testing packages.

EDIT: Still refining the PBI build style for a few packages and rebuilding as needed, reducing the overall compile time and the need to install multiple PBIs.

Dependency issues should be OK so long as you are on the latest snapshot (June 23rd or later) or one from this week that has been gitsync'd. As a test, I fixed up one package that had been having dependency issues, bandwidthd. On a VM that is using the current code, bandwidthd installs and runs OK (yay).

EDIT: [June 23, 2012, 6:15pm] ALL possible PBIs have been uploaded - every package that has a binary dependency and a proper entry in FreeBSD ports listed in the pkg XML now has a PBI, so if you're on code from June 23 or later it should be safe to test any package up there.
EDIT: [June 30, 2012, 7:15pm] PBIs were all rebuilt due to a bug causing the excluded files to not be removed. Should save a bit of space now.
EDIT: [July 03, 2012 ] Squid, SquidGuard, HAVP, NUT, NRPEv2, IMspector, dns-server should all be OK now.
EDIT: [July 05, 2012] Avahi, Zabbix Proxy, Zabbix Agent, Blinkled, and lightsquid should all be OK now.
EDIT: [July 07, 2012] Full PBI rebuild complete again, this time man pages were excluded, so PBIs should be even smaller.

EDIT: [June 5, 2013] Closing thread.
Locking this thread for now, separate threads are better from here on.

The purpose of this thread was for problems specific to 2.1 -- meaning, package X worked on 2.0.x, but not 2.1. Most of those have been fixed, but packages that were broken on 2.0.x are also likely broken on 2.1 (e.g. stunnel, vhosts, freeswitch) and that's beyond the scope of what this thread is meant to deal with.

I was originally doing triage trying to fix what I could on things to get things in decent shape, but we're at the point now where the package maintainers for items with remaining issues need to step up and fix what few things are left. In the cases where there are no active package maintainers for certain packages, someone with the time/knowledge may have to take them on.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:57:55 am by jimp »
Need help fast? Commercial Support!

Co-Author of pfSense: The Definitive Guide. - Check the Doc Wiki for FAQs.

Do not PM for help!

Offline Roots0

• View Profile
    • Tim Otten
Re: 2.1 Package Testing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
mailreport 1.2 is working a treat for me on 2.1.
Mobile Computer & Network Support Stockport, UK
www.timotten.co.uk

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:06 am »
FYI- Package builds were moved to a new pair of VMs so they were all recompiled and re-uploaded, so be on the lookout for any breakage. I don't expect much, since the PBI builds are fairly self-contained and don't tend to have problems, but the base OS on the VMs is actually FreeBSD 8.3 to match 2.1 now, it was FreeBSD 8.1 before, so there is the chance that some difference there may make things behave differently.

In anything, I'd actually expect some things to improve...

Do not PM for help!

Offline MikeN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:05:51 pm »
open-vm-tools is working fine for me on the latest snapshot (it auto-upgraded and VMWare reports it's working)

Offline workingman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:40:18 am »
Where might I be able to download those VMs?  I have been hoping to cook up a stund package for 2.1.

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:33 am »
They aren't VMs to download, I was speaking of VMs we setup in a new datacenter on a brand new server.

You can just download FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE, install it into a VM, and then follow the rest of the builder instructions on the dev wiki to work with packages.

Do not PM for help!

Offline workingman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:54 pm »
@jimp

I have already created those but was hoping for some magic solution since I haven't been able to make much progress so far.

My post http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,52459.0.html

has been getting a lot of views but only one reply from me to me.

I also found your reply about pbi building here http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=46043.0 but the source just confuses and infuriates Lrrr. Sorry, just couldn't resist the Futurama reference...

I do see all kinds of pbi related things on my pfsense box.

[2.1-BETA0]/root(1): pbi_
pbi_add             pbi_delete          pbi_listrepo        pbi_metatool
pbi_addrepo         pbi_deleterepo      pbi_makepatch       pbi_patch
pbi_autobuild       pbi_icon            pbi_makeport        pbi_pbid
pbi_browser         pbi_indextool       pbi_makeport_chroot pbi_update_hashdir
pbi_create          pbi_info            pbi_makerepo       

should I be working with pbi_create..?  Seems likely but I could use a little direction.

I have searched the dev wiki but haven't found those package builder instructions.  Got a link for me?

TIA

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »
The script I linked in that other thread is the program that generates PBIs from the package repo.

Would look something like this:
Code: [Select]
/home/pfsense/tools/builder_scripts/rebuild_package_binaries_pbi.php -x/home/pfsense/packages/pkg_config.8.xml.amd64 -sRELENG_8_3 -p"mypackage"
Sorry, I don't have time to do a whole howto or anything on the subject at the moment.

Do not PM for help!

Offline workingman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »
No problem jimp.  Thanks for the pointer!

I don't mind mucking about.. it's how I usually do things ;)

Offline jimp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:15:23 pm »
FYI- Doing another full PBI build run/upload. Once it has finished I'll need to bump versions on some packages as needed.

Among other things, this should hopefully clear up any issues 2.1 packages have with PCRE.

This is a build/binary change only - no changes to package code, so don't expect any packages to magically start working if they had other issues. Watch for breakage in packages that do currently work.

Do not PM for help!

Offline qseb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 12:26:54 pm »
Hi,
small bug for bacula-client 5.2.6 pkg v 1.0
on 2.1-BETA1_amd64_Mar 28_2013FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p6

service does not start, because /usr/pbi/bacula-amd64/etc/bacula-fd.conf does not exist. After symlink creation, service starts.
ln -s /usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf /usr/pbi/bacula-amd64/etc/

minor interface bugs:
- it appends "-dir" to director's name into config
- it writes nothing in filedaemon's name into config. I have only Name = -fd #

But it works!

Offline Nachtfalke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »
Hi,

HAVP Antivirus is listed as "Working" on pfsense 2.1 but for me it is not on amd64
No pfsense version check on .inc file and it seems like there are some other configuration files missing or in wrong place. I modified the havp.inc but still no running service.

Further the clamav version is outdated - warning in /var/log/ logfile - but still seems to update if I could believe this logfile.

Offline gerdesj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:08 am »
pfblocker 1.0.2 working fine

Offline gerdesj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 03:31:04 am »
open-vm-tools 8.7.0.3046 (build-425873) dumps core pretty soon after install for me on amd64  running in VM on VMware ESXi 5.1 1021289.

I have tried a reboot.

Sample log output:
Apr 23 09:34:31 kernel: pid 64819 (vmtoolsd), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
Apr 23 09:34:02 check_reload_status: Reloading filter
Apr 23 09:34:02 check_reload_status: Syncing firewall
Apr 23 09:34:01 kernel: VMware memory control driver initialized
Apr 23 09:33:02 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: Beginning package installation for Open-VM-Tools .

Online biggsy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 03:06:03 am »
Thanks to some great work by marcelloc, postfix forwarder is working for me on
2.1-BETA1 (amd64) built on Sat May 4 19:47:31 EDT 2013 (and a few versions prior to that).

However, I don't really use postfix forwarder for anything other than keeping out the bots.  No additional anti-spam, anti-virus RBLs or outbound mail forwarding.  Those things will need others to test.

Still seeing the log entry
postfix/postfix-script[60729]: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix
but with no apparent ill effects.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:20:45 am by biggsy »