The pfSense Store

Author Topic: LAN1 to LAN2 NAT for PS3 Server  (Read 2026 times)

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
LAN1 to LAN2 NAT for PS3 Server
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »
LAN1 : 192.168.X.1
LAN2 : 10.10.x.1

The PS3 server is on LAN 2 and need the devices ( PS3, Bravia LCD and Denon AVR ) to be able to see the Server to stream media from.
I tried a couple of things without any luck.

Help would be greatly appreciated
If it ain't broken, fix it till it is :P

Offline Metu69salemi

• View Profile
Re: LAN1 to LAN2 NAT for PS3 Server
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:04:09 pm »

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:59 am »
does this help?

Nope...
Tried it and it doesn't work.
Besides the PS3 Media server needs to detect its rendering engines.
Neither one of the TV's pick up the server nor does the PS3...

Offline johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:08 am »
What rules do you have for traffic between your lans?  There wouldn't normally be NATs between your lan segments.

If this uses multicast then you might have to use the IGMP proxy - from that other thread which seems to be the same as what your trying to do http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/IGMP_Proxy

Now that was back from jan 2010, and seems last post says there is problem with igmp proxy in 2.0 ??

I personally have not use/need of it so have never tested it.

Might be easier if you just ran one segment ;)  Is there some security reason in a home network? why you want/need 2 lan segments?
- An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- Have I helped you, want to say thanks?  Donate to pfsense the cost of a beer http://pfsense.org/donate.html

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:13 pm »
My servers are a different interface due to the fact I'm running LAGG on the server side of the box.
Between the Server there's 2x 8 port switches that connect the 6 servers to the pFSense box

The Servers for MySQL and FreeNAS are DL360 G4's x2
The PS3 Media Server is a DL560, oldie I know but qith quad 3.6 Ghz and 8GB of RAM is plenty for dedicated media server for my Smart TV's, PS3 and my Denon Receiver
The Web Servers ( active fail over ) are DL580 G4's x4
The PfSense Box is a DL360 as well with a Quad port network card and a Mellanox card ( hoping for future support as all my other servers have Mellanox cards and currently on the hunt for a 10Gbe Switch )

Offline johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 07:11:16 am »
"I'm running LAGG on the server side of the box."

What does that have to do with different segments?
- An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- Have I helped you, want to say thanks?  Donate to pfsense the cost of a beer http://pfsense.org/donate.html

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »
I have a limited number of ports on my PF box.
Also I want my servers separated from my home network

Offline johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »
Still not understanding what lagg has to do with anything.

Well if your going to run multiple segments, then your going to have to allow for mutlicast across the segments.  Ie IGMP proxy

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/IGMP_Proxy

As that other thread went over. 

I would think you could put your devices on the same segment, or bridge the segments or use the IGMP proxy.

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:46 pm »
LAGG allows me to have redundancy when I'm not near the server to fix whatever issue arises both network and hardware wise.
If a switch fails or an on-board LAN adapter fails my server doesn't fall offline, Also doubles my bandwith as well when running LACP.

When I get my infiniband switch then it will be a 10Gb backbone from the pfbox to the servers and that would leave my LAN ports will be unused and then they can drop it on my private network for RDC and Media Server.

Offline johnpoz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
When I think of  LAGG, I think of high speed connections - ie load balanced, your just using it in failover mode?

You don't really need to setup lagg for just failover, 2 connections with stp keeping one off would allow for failure of one of the nicks, etc.

Offline _Adrian_

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »
When I think of  LAGG, I think of high speed connections - ie load balanced, your just using it in failover mode?

You don't really need to setup lagg for just failover, 2 connections with stp keeping one off would allow for failure of one of the nicks, etc.

LACP is Load Balancing, but when one link fails it continues service as a single link rather than dual