General Category > General Discussion

[ Show your pfSenses! ] - Thread - (bandwidth warning!)

(1/30) > >>

fLoo:
I'd like to raise a pfSense show-off thread. I'm gonna start off with my just build up replacement for my virtual pfSense (moved from ESXi back to hardware)

- Intel D2500CC (2x 1,8 Ghz)
- 4 GB Ram
- 3x Gbit NIC
- 128 GB SSD
- 75W power supply
- pfSense 2.1 (pfSense-memstick-2.1-BETA1-amd64-20121221-0526.img.gz)

extide:
Ok, here is my setup:

Cable Modem (Cisco/Linksys DPC-3008) sitting on top of machine.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 3220 - 22nm Ivy Bridge - Dual Core 3.3Ghz - HT Disabled
ASRock Z77 Extreme 3
2x2GB DDR3 1333
64GB OCZ Summit SSD (Samsung Controller)
2x Intel PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
Plextor DVD-RW
300W Seasonic 80+ Bronze PSU
Generic Case

Guts:

Below is a shot of the whole setup.
NOTE: The large Compaq server (8-way P3 Xeon) AND the Disk Array sittong on top of it ARE NOT IN USE. They are functioning ONLY AS A SHELF!

NetGear GS108P PoE Switch
2x Dlink DAP-2553 Wifi AP's using PoE from the GS108P (one for 2.4Ghz, the other for 5Ghz)
And the grey rectangle with green sticker on it sitting next to the monitor is the DirecTV DECA adapter. (Connects the DirecTV DECA network, which is ethernet over COAX that co-exists with the sat signals, to the rest of my network.) This way my DVR's all grab IP's from my pfSense box and have full internet access.

The monitor and keyboard are for when I need to manually go in there and work on something, which is pretty rare. :)

fLoo:
Oh damn - you want the people totally show off? I see - lets continue with me:

My complete setup (2 Wi-Fi-APs missing here)

- Cable Modem (Cisco EPC-3212)
- TP-WR1043ND (Public AP - Routing traffic through vpntunnel.se)

You can see (or its hidden):

- 24 Port Management Switch
- TP-WR1043ND (SamKnows bandwidth measurement)
- RIPE Atlas node (Network measurement)
- Raspberry PI + DVB-C Stick to monitor network segment usage of my local internet provider
- mini-LCD Monitor to monitor network statistics

- ESXi 5.1 WhiteBox (Core i5, 16 GB Ram / 2x 3 TB + 2x 64 GB SSD)
- 12 TB Raid-5 Firewire-NAS (hidden on the right)
- Yes i need to clean the ESXi :)

extide:
Hey, I just posted my router ;) I have a Ubuntu Server running ZFS, a windows server, and a dedicated linux folding@home box as well. :) I can put more pics later.

Tell me more about the "Raspberry PI + DVB-C Stick to monitor network segment usage of my local internet provider" that is pretty cool... What kinda stats can you see?

fLoo:

--- Quote from: extide on December 21, 2012, 05:15:17 pm ---Hey, I just posted my router ;) I have a Ubuntu Server running ZFS, a windows server, and a dedicated linux folding@home box as well. :) I can put more pics later.

Tell me more about the "Raspberry PI + DVB-C Stick to monitor network segment usage of my local internet provider" that is pretty cool... What kinda stats can you see?

--- End quote ---

Because i'm using internet via a cable modem you can monitor the network usage of your network segment. The reason is because cable is a shared medium and every single customer in your segment can see every single bit (multicast), although its encrypted. So what u can do is the following:

Take a DVB-C-Stick (i prefer sundtek.de because of its full linux support), then u tune your dvb-c stick to the same frequency as your cable modem (in europe thats usally 546 - 602 mhz), toggle modulation and use dvbsnoop to read off the statistics of the frequency-channel.

Result:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version