pfSense Support Subscription

Author Topic: UPnP and multiple Xbox 360s (4-8)  (Read 24107 times)

Offline xcrustwadx

• View Profile
Re: UPnP and multiple Xbox 360s (4-8)
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 03:52:13 pm »
Is it that uPnP bypasses the traffic shaper all together or does it's traffic just get automatically sent to the default queue?  I'm on 1.2 Final and it looks like the upstream traffic from utorrent using a random port via upnp is being "picked up" in the "qwandef" queue status graph.

So... if I design my shaper solution around this fact, I might be able to make it work, correct? (and not have to wait until 2009 for 1.3)
For instance:  I know Xbox 360 traffic will be uPnP and so will be in the default queue automatically.  I can make my P2P stuff go to another queue of lower priority and saturate it completely.  Then I'll see if my ping times are OK.  If they are OK, or at least less than with no shaping, then I'm headed in the right direction!

I'm going to test this when I get home.

Also the 1.2 final release has a working version of upnp which DOES NOT, from my experience, need the script/patch provided by RSW686 for the older version(I believe this patch is already included in the recent PFsense releases).  I'm back to using a residential ISP with 1 dynamic address and we have 8 Xbox 360s here (all upnp, all open NAT status) as well as a PS3(uPnP as well) all playing nicely online.  My pfsense uptime has been around 72 days and I haven't restarted miniupnpd in about 2 weeks.  The only reason it has restarted is because of the troublesome power outages.  My last issue in the traffic shaper

Thanks again for your help.

Offline ermal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 01:58:53 pm »
Yes your assumtion is correct.

Offline xcrustwadx

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 08:11:18 am »
I tested it all this weekend.  It is true, the uPnP traffic gets sent to the default queue automatically.  So I was able to play around with the shaper to make it work!  There is a ton of tweaking I need to do still(default queue is showing drops while the P2P queue is not).  All in all I would say it's a great success for me!  I was able to completely saturate my upstream and play online games for many hours with only a few tiny hiccups(like I said I need to tweak).  It's a great thing!

What I've been attempting is to treat my default queue like my highest priority queue which can work since I don't use voip and 90% of traffic that I couldn't classify(and send to a lower priority queue) would be high priority online gaming traffic anyway.
I'm researching the traffic shaper now.

Offline xcrustwadx

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 09:11:38 am »
The shaper seems to be working very well now!  UPnP is working great as well.  I've attached a screenshot of what my uPnP status page looks like.  I don't think there are too many routers out there that can handle this kind of usage.  Thank you PFsense devs for making the ultimate gaming router / firewall!