thanks for all of the great posts and help here. First time poster and just dipping my toe in the water with pfsense
I'm after some advice on 2 topics:
1. benefit of a pfsense router over my current Asus RT-AC68u with my usage habits
2. Is my intended hardware ok.
I have an Asrock Ion based pc (NVidia version of the dual core atom, runs at 1.4GHz I think). It has a realtek gigabit adapter onboard and I was looking to use a USB gigabit adapter as my second LAN port.
Firstly, will this operate with PFsense?
I think the motherboard only offers USB2... so should I use a 100Mbit or gigabit USB Ethernet adapter (I have both).
My home internet is cable (113/2.4) so I thought gigabit for both would be best (but couldn't recall the bandwidth of USB2).
1. a few connected devices - desktop, notebook and tablet/phone.
2. Torrenting, gaming and normal productivity stuff.
3. I use adblock on my browser but would look to use a router based blocker if possible.
4. VPN (local app not through router currently) I would like to have VPN always on for my laptop but not used for my desktop - is this possible with it running at the router level? I mainly use VPN for hiding location or identity for torrenting and media... so I don't think I need high level encryption just speed.
Not sure what else I should be considering? Partly I just want to build a router for fun and to expand my hobby of computers but I would also really like to know how it will improve the function of stuff I am already doing or could be doing.