pfSense Gold Subscription

Author Topic: Firewall stops talking to wireless after short time  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Jonb

• View Profile
    • Peer Point Internet
Re: Firewall stops talking to wireless after short time
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:09 am »
I actually found two possible cause's to this problem (although there maybe more).

1) Power saving options on the wireless card.
     Fix for this is go into device manager and switch off power saving mode on the nic. I found this even with my new wireless N laptop.

2) Snort
      I found that even in bridge mode and snort only having the wan interface selected it banned my internal IP and the only way I found to get around this was to put the Internal LAN in the white list.
For IP connectivity, Cloud Backup and UK co-lo hosting check us out.
http://www.peerpointinternet.co.uk

Offline misteragony

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:53 am »
Hello,

I have the same issue that my wireless connection drops when there is 'heavy traffic' going from WAN -> Wireless
I can start downloading at 2MB/s but after 5 minutes or so, the connection drops. I can still see my wireless access point, but i can't connect to it. The only thing I can do to solve this is accessing the webgui and reapply the wireless settings using a wired connection. When I restart the download again, after 5 minutes the connection drops again.

I'm running 1.2 on a Linksys Ralink card. My laptop is the only wireless client in my network.

I think somehow this must be driver related? I tried 1.2.1 and 1.3, then I can configure my wireless but I get 'no carrier' on the interface status page so I presume the Ralink drivers are not mature yet on freebsd7?

I tried with another wireless NIC (also ralink) to eliminate a faulty wireless card, but I have the exact same issues with that card.

I hope there will be a solution to this rather soon, because in this state I can't put Pfsense into production.

Best regards,
Jan

Offline Jonb

• View Profile
    • Peer Point Internet
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 12:13:17 pm »
Have you tryied both possible fixes that are posted above

Offline serialdie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:17 pm »
I am not sure that this is an issue with power saving in the user end... I am having the same issue but a bit different...
I think is at the OS level with pfsense...
I have notice that when the wireless idles and pfsense marks it offline the wireless drops your connection...
In some instances I have set some static dhcp entries and the old dhcp entrie lingers arround... When the system at the user end renews the lease it gets the new IP but the old dhcp entries lingers around and it gets marked off line and it drops your connection...

Offline Jonb

• View Profile
    • Peer Point Internet
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:14 pm »
If Pfsense is marking the nic as offline then this will be a prob with Pfsense and maybe worth rasing a ticket

Offline serialdie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 01:03:08 am »
I might have spoken to soon when I posted my comment...
But it seem to be a BSD issue... pfsense 1.2 FreeBSD 6.3 took care of the disconnect problems... Also the pfsense full version (not embedded) does not seem to act this way....

Offline mcrane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 01:40:44 am »
You may want to try out pfSense 1.2.1 which uses FreeBSD7. For me it has fixed the disconnect issues.
Link to download pfSense 1.2.1 can be found here http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=207